Thread: Controller Unlocker: Timed out - U0101 - Lost communication to TCM

Tuner in Training

Controller Unlocker: Timed out - U0101 - Lost communication to TCM

Getting "Controller Unlocker: Timed out."

2010 CTSV it will write to the E67 ECU and then pauses for 15 seconds.

Tries to write the T43 TCM calibration and after about 2 seconds throws the "Controller Unlocker: Timed Out".

I checked the resistance on the ODBII pins 6 and 14. I am getting 65-66 ohms of resistance which from my research is too high. My research found that 58-62 ohm is desired range.

How can it read and write the ECM every time but fail on the TCM every time if the Hi speed LAN is having problems communicating? (40+ attempts of several days of troubleshooting.)

I just updated HPTuners to 4.4.4.0 and no change in behavior. The upgrade even updated the firmware on the interface.

Car starts and will move but it is stuck in limp mode (3 gear) and the dash is lit up like a Christmas outdoor display.

"Stabilitrac Off"
    "Parking assist Off"
    "Service Stabilitrac"
    "Service Tire Monitor System"
    "Service Traction Control"

All grounds seem to be good and I have 12.5v (14.4v when running) at the battery and fuse box.

I have tried test hanging 2 different known good 6L90 TCMs from another 2010 CTSV - same results.

VCM scanners reports code U0101 - Lost communication to TCM.

Any help or guidance is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

#Bill@HPTuners @Bill@HPTuners
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by theheder; 01-07-2020 at 01:22 PM.

Tuner in Training dion.climo@renova.co.nz's Avatar
    SOLVED: Hey mate, did you find a solution to this? I'm having exactly the same problem...
    Last edited by [email protected]; 01-27-2021 at 04:56 PM. Reason: SOLVED

Need more details. Have you tried to tune the TCM previously before the error?

Sounds like a bad TCM or tuner locked if it has been tuned previously.

Tuner in Training dion.climo@renova.co.nz's Avatar
    SOLVED: Yes had tuned several times previously, not locked. Somehow the car lost power during a Write Entire and can still write the ECM but not the TCM. Have just been advised by the dealer it might be a dead TCM and they are going to attempt a fresh write with their dealer-only software.

I tried 2x laptops, re-installing drivers and software, upping the standing voltage to 14.4v with a charger with the car not running (12.8v without), checked all relevant fuses, removed fuses and disconnected battery.

EDIT: The failed Write Entire did in fact kill the TCM, dealer re-write also failed using TIS2WEB. New TCM and re-write and she is back to killing tyres - expensive lesson for me!

** DO NOT LOSE POWER ** when using Write Entire, in my case it was fatal and cost $1000's to repair - in fact, DO NOT USE Write Entire unless you absolutely have too.
    Last edited by [email protected]; 01-27-2021 at 04:55 PM. Reason: SOLVED

dam thats sucks. i just tried to read my "tuner locked" ecm tonight because i got a replacement off evil bay and read the tune on it and while reading the same custom key window was there but it did read so i just figured what the hell and to my disgust it did not read. anyways when i drove my car the check engine light came on and stuck in 3rd. i read the codes and it said lost communication with tcm and also with the ecm permanent. i cleared the codes and the light went off and i started it up and everything is ok i think. i also tried reflashing the new ecm with sps gm software sight but my j2543 pass thru wouldnt work didnt have the correct drivers. this whole time i thought my ecm was tunerlocked but now im not sure maybe i should open a ticket with hp tuners because maybe my interface is defective

Quote Originally Posted by [email protected] View Post

EDIT: **** New TCM and re-write and she is back to killing tyres - expensive lesson for me***
    Did you reprogram with HP tuners or did the dealer have to use their equipment? I need to replace mine and the dealer will not do it due to all the mods on my vehicle. Hoping I can swap the TCM and plug in HP tuners and get back to driving again.