Thread: 2002 silverado new to tuning

Tuner in Training

2002 silverado new to tuning

Hi, I recently purchased hptuners mpv12 pro and I'm waiting to receive it. I am new to tuning and have a 2002 rcsb Silverado that had a 4.8 4l60e and now has a cammed 6.0 4l80e as well as electric fans and new fuel pump/ Injectors. I have received injector data in gen 3 format from a forum member on performancetrucks. What else do I need? Where should I start? What wideband are compatible? I haven't ordered one yet but will in the near future. Thanks and I look forward to learning on here

Senior Tuner
    AEM makes some nice widebands. Check out this thread...
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...light=wideband
    As far as your tune, you'll want to read some of the threads on this site and watch some of the tutorials on YouTube to get you familiar with the tuning process.
    Here are a few things that you'll want to address on yours.
    Idle tuning...namely the idle speed table and the Minimum Airflow Table.
    You'll need to open the throttle body blade a bit on your application to get the IAC in the proper range at idle.
    You'll want to enter the new injector characterization data.
    The VE table will need to be altered considerably. In general, you'll reduce the number below 3000rpm. You may find that you'll need to reduce the VE numbers at idle by 20-40%...depending on cam selection. You'll have to add some to the VE numbers above 3000rpm. Maybe as much as 10-15% at higher rpms.
    You'll need to add timing to the spark tables as well. Generally, with a larger cam, you'll need to add way more timing at low rpm.
    Finally, you'll address engine torque management.

As far as the transmission, you'll need to do a segment swap in order to get the proper 4L80E parameters in your computer.
    At that point, you can adjust shift points and pressures. Google Bluecat Tool for the best spreadsheet on setting the transmission shift points.

As far as the fans, you can use the settings from an 05-06 Silverado to get most of the settings for your application.

Finally, you'll need to desensitize misfire counters (or disable them if the cam is really large) and address any DTC's that need to be altered.

There are a lot of things to consider. I usually recommend getting a base tune file from a professional tuner for your first time tuning. It would certainly be worth spending a little extra money to do so. It'll make it a lot less painless. There are several of us on this site that tune for a living. Feel free to ask questions. Best of luck to you!

Advanced Tuner
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...Table-Software

Best tuning aid ive ever used.

Also i agree with Kevin, paying for a good tune helps tremendously.
    That way you can see what was changed and get an idea of what is going on.
    I been tuning for 14 years and still learn stuff every time i open the computer.

Tuner
    Like everyone else is saying. Read a lot before you start and once your are ready to tune. You start by making small adjustments. Once you are able to upload your tune file we can help find you a tune to segment swap. Happy tuning and PM if you need any help.

Tuner in Training
    Ok so SOMETHING tells me i ought to start over from scratch (had nothing to do with the 4.8 tune idling better than mine LOL) so i went ahead and saved all but one step in what i did. stock 6.0 4l80e segment swap, base idle increased 150 across the board, injector data added, and 05-06 fan settings. i accidentally used 07 before and now i see my error and why i was a little confused. I appreciate the helpfulness and knowledge here for a newb. Im gonna try and get some data logged today, but i still dont have a midpipe installed so now wideband till then. i just wanna drive to work and a muflfer shop.
    6.0 and 4l80e segment swap with injectors andd fans and speed limiter removed.hpt

Potential Tuner
    Best thing to do is download a base 6.0 4L80 tune and use it as a compare file only also looking at the tune you posted if your running a big cam your idle is way low and the spark advanced tables are off dial in those along with the ve depending on your exact setup try taking the stock file adding 2* of timing across the board at a time see how it reacts then go from there as far as fuel goes try adding 20% from stock log it and adjust while in SD also need to adjust PE and dis able LTFT for now dial in the STFT to read +/- 2% then dial in the MAF and LTFT its a process but deffently easier with a wideband and a dyno. DO NOT worry about WOT while doing this that comes later.