Thread: Does the VCM scanner monitor manifold vacuum

Advanced Tuner

Does the VCM scanner monitor manifold vacuum

I?m trying to figure out if I want to delete mechanical vacuum pump for the brakes. Or just upgrade to the newer style pump that they re-designed. I?ve read where a lot people just deleted theirs and used a line from the intake manifold to pull a vacuum to work the breaks.

Since my L86 is cammed I worry about that vacuum being to low in the intake manifold. If the VCM scanner could monitor this vacuum. I thought I could run line from the brake booster to the intake manifold and test it before I commit to removing the pump.

So is there anyway to monitor this from the VCM scanner????

Tuner
    MAP channel. Anything under baro is vacuum. I would be cautious though, I'm a front end tech at a dealer and once those pumps start going, you'll get ABS kicking on all the time and that's not a good thing to have when you really need to stop quickly. I've proably replaced 50 or so pumps in the last 3 months. Why delete the mech pump in the first place?

Advanced Tuner
    From the threads I?ve read the people that did delete it ?say? it breaks just as well as before. But you know how that goes.

I could replace it myself for about 130 bucks or delete for 20 bucks and never have to worry about it again.

But I?m leery of that with my bigger tires and the 24 foot wakeboat I pull. I don?t want to lose any stopping power.

Tuner
    How many miles are on your truck? Theres a special coverage for 10 year, 150k miles on the pump. If its going bad and you take it to a dealer complaining about a hard pedal, and they confirm the pump isnt up to spec, they should replace it for free. Then you'll always have 27+ inches of vacuum when braking instead of ~15 best case using the IM vacuum, which to me makes more sense. Just my .02 though

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks man I didn?t know that. I got 130k on the truck and always thought I was over the limit.

Tuner
    You would have been for awhile. It was at 6 year 72k miles for awhile I think but they recently changed it because so many pumps were failing just above the original cutoff and I guess people weren't happy about it lol