Thread: Turbo 5.3 to rich start and idle,need to lean out more need help / advice

Turbo 5.3 to rich start and idle,need to lean out more need help / advice

Hello, I spent 3 months slowly putting this tune together but I,m getting stuck with getting the truck to start consistently with out a little cranking and i would like to drive around the 13 afr on the wide band, the truck does drive nice but i think i'm missing something on getting the stft not to go severely into the negatives. i DD on the low end up to 2k rpm around town. It does get up and go when you put your foot in it, but that even needs tweak, but that's for another day

I would appreciate some help / input on what to do. Thank you in advance for your help.

the truck is a gen4 5.3 with 80 pound deka injectors, 79mm turbo 96 AR, sheet metal manifold, inter-cooler.

stock cam and internals, all sensors are being used. what to keep truck with all it's sensors
    Attached Files Attached Files

What MAP sensor is installed?

There are some weird MAP readings in that log. Hard to tell if the charts are being skewed by the boost/vacuum gauge that is being logged. Ideally a 2 or 3 bar MAP should be installed for tuning purposes.

You need to remember that fueling is always going to try to achieve stoich when in closed loop. You can not just make it run at 13 afr cruising around if you are still using closed loop fuel control. The current stoich in that log is 14.65, so those negative fuel trims means it's too rich and pulling fuel out to make it's way back to stoich.

Use your wideband that you have installed and create a wideband error against the commanded AFR/Lambda. Put the truck into open loop with no fuel trims, then start logging the wideband error. That values there can brought over and applied to the MAF curve (as you have it MAF mode right now), to help you clean up the fueling.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

the Map is the stock map sensor, actually somebody said the same thing so i put a new stock sensor in it and they both read the same.
    do you think my VVE table is to high at the the bottom end the truck seems to get better / leaner as I raise the base of the table now in the 1600 range
    maybe move the base line to 1700 range. what do you think

I have no idea if the VVE is too high. You technically having it ignoring the VVE in a way because the dynamic airflow settings are set to use the MAF only right now. The VVE is still used in the background some.

There is no guessing with this stuff. Like I said you must take the time to use your wideband to calibrate the fueling. Create the AFR/Lambda error against the commanded and tune the MAF. Then tune the VVE. Both need to be done separate from one another and both in open loop with no fuel trims when using a wideband. This is also where you want the 2 or 3 bar MAP sensor for VVE tuning, as you need to be able to log the MAP sensor for boost.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Got it, Thank you. That's what I'll do