Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edge cts2

Edge cts2

Looking for a set of gauges for my truck, currently ha e none. Leaning towards a display versus analog gauges. Does anyone have experience with the edge cts2 considering it can be used to load hptuner tunes? How about the datalog feature? Does anyone know if it will display the expanded pids once the os patch has been flashed? Just looking for some opinions and options. What else does everyone run?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bradshaw106 View Post
    Looking for a set of gauges for my truck, currently ha e none. Leaning towards a display versus analog gauges. Does anyone have experience with the edge cts2 considering it can be used to load hptuner tunes? How about the datalog feature? Does anyone know if it will display the expanded pids once the os patch has been flashed? Just looking for some opinions and options. What else does everyone run?
    I have glowshift right now.. but going to autometer factory matched gauges soon.. I like analog because there is no input lag and boost is accurate.. also cheaper! lol I just sit my laptop on the center console when I datalog things

I'm have tempted to switch to the smarty mm3 setup just for the fast flash times and sotf

Banned
    I never had any luck with autometer gauges. Every single one I?ve ever tried died on me in no time.

Full ECM flash times are probably the same between HP Tuners and MM3. The 05 on the MM3 takes 5-6 minutes from beginning to end to flash. Where really MM3 outshines is real time tuning and the SOTF capability and all the gauges you really need on a dash screen, more gauges than the Edge CTS2 will give you for tuning purposes.

Advanced Tuner
    I use hp tuners and it takes 10 minutes for a flash

Banned
    Jeez, my 2012 takes less than that on the MM3.

Ya, my 2005 takes 10min to flash, its painful. Since I'm learning to tune I make small changes then reflash.

Banned
    That?s horrible.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    I never had any luck with autometer gauges. Every single one I?ve ever tried died on me in no time.

Full ECM flash times are probably the same between HP Tuners and MM3. The 05 on the MM3 takes 5-6 minutes from beginning to end to flash. Where really MM3 outshines is real time tuning and the SOTF capability and all the gauges you really need on a dash screen, more gauges than the Edge CTS2 will give you for tuning purposes.
    Whats the price on mm3? and does it come with udc or do you have to buy separate?

its pretty expensive, your looking in the neighborhood of 760 for the mm3 then you need to buy a dongle for the software at 150$ and their is virtually no support for the software. versus you can buy a edge cts2 display for 430$ and just use hptuner stuff you already have..

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by bradshaw106 View Post
    its pretty expensive, your looking in the neighborhood of 760 for the mm3 then you need to buy a dongle for the software at 150$ and their is virtually no support for the software. versus you can buy a edge cts2 display for 430$ and just use hptuner stuff you already have..
    Yikes! I can see why its not as popular as other platforms
    Yeah I seen cts2 was around $400. but the boost sensor and the egt probe were an additional cost

Banned
    Completely incorrect. Damn near every bit of what was said with everything.
    Last edited by Jim P; 01-11-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Tuner
    Completely incorrect. Damn near every bit of what was said with everything.
    Please explain in more detail what is incorrect

Banned
    Assuming going with basic software and OBD2 plug in dash display and no special deals and excluding any taxes...

HP Tuners MPVI2-$299, ECM flashing credits for 1 vehicle-$100(have an 07.5-09 add an additional $100 to tune transmission), Edge CTS2-$484 (Edge's website pricing), Edge EGT probe-$143=$1026-$1126
    MM3-$850, EGT probe-$150 (actually $155 but everyone sells at $150), Regular software license-$450=$1450

$324-424 difference between the two when going for as similar as possible between one or the other. There absolutely is support for the MM3. They don't have a customer driven forum like HP Tuners but they have support, way more and way more better support compared to if someone buys a Smarty Touch.

No you don't need to buy Edge's fancy EAS pressure sensor to read boost. Boost reading comes from the ECM through a regular old non-enhanced PID list. The boost reading from the ECM is actually a calculated boost reading that gets auto-zeroed and is calculated from MAP-atmospheric pressure. The Edge CTS2 reads this just fine. Stock form it's only good for up to about 36psig, if you want to read higher you could go with Edge's fancy boost sensor for $158 more (currently on sale for $142 and the EGT probe currently on sale for $127). But honestly, you'd be wasting money there. You would just be better off buying a replacement 10bar MAP sensor for around $200 and rescaling your sensor in your ECM to truly take advantage of being able to read higher boost as the ECM actually uses the boost reading it calculates, Edge's fancy boost pressure sensor won't do this for you.

Getting into the fine details of the difference between the two, HP Tuners with an Edge CTS2 and the MM3, completely different worlds and the MM3 comes out on top. The idea of the MM3 not being as popular has nothing to do with price, there is a lot of other stuff in the background of the regular joe user as to why the entire line up of Smarty, MM3 and RaceME has become unpopular and isn't seen quite as much and why lots of tuners have dropped selling them. But I'm not going to get into that here. To get as near as possible the same between the two, there just is very little price difference really and the MM3 comes out a bit higher but it also does more than the HP Tuners with Edge CTS2 and supports the Dodge Cummins powered trucks from 1998.5 through to 2018 where as HP Tuners on supports them from 2003 through to 2012. The MM3 comes with 1 VIN license and supports up to 4 VIN licenses on just one MM3 and does not require addition licenses to be purchased to tune the transmissions of the 2007.5-2009 trucks, additional VIN licenses are $150. HP Tuners the license is $100 but if you have a 2007.5-2009 and want full out engine and transmission tuning well that's $200.

Out of the box, HP Tuners shows more parameters in some areas than the UDC Pro software, depending on your model year but 99% of the regular joe people don't actually need those few extra parameters HP Tuners shows. Out of the box, UDC Pro does everything a regular joe tuner needs, plain and simple. However, you cannot plug your laptop into your Dodge Cummins truck and tune/change parameters live with HP Tuners. With HP Tuners, you cannot do a live edit of a table in your ECM, save it and have it automatically load every time you start your truck without ever having to reflash your ECM. These are just some of the differences where for just a few hundred dollars more, it starts coming up over the top with the MM3 and UDC Pro or for 2007.5+, Warp Tuning. Start getting into user defined parameters and things of that nature, an extra $150 for HP Tuners if I remember correctly, and extra $300 for MM3 route, but it far surpasses HP Tuners. Blows it out of the water.
    Last edited by Jim P; 01-11-2020 at 11:24 PM.

Banned
    For myself, there is zero advantage to run HP Tuners on my personal 2012, none whatsoever. It?s either the MM3 or EFILive as both are capable of real time tuning and live editing for the Dodge Cummins but the MM3 takes the lead as I can datalog without having to stop and plug in a laptop or a FlashScan. At any moment at any time I can start and stop datalogging at my leisure without skipping a beat. Couple taps on the screen at any time. There are way more advantages for myself to run the MM3. And when you start bundling things to get things as close as possible for features and whatever, it costs a little more but there is so much more there.

Tuner
    Thanks for breaking it down and explaining Jim! I would like the real time tuning and datalogging also would be nice to tune a wider range of trucks

Banned
    Wider range of trucks to be tuned would be nice for sure but at this time there is nothing set in a timeline of availability to tune the 2013+ trucks.

The whole cost thing is pretty easy to show that when it really boils down to it, price differences between different platforms once you get set up with gauges and all that to bring things out to a more equal playing level, there really is not a huge difference. As a self tuner the most expensive route to go if you have a 2006+ would be EFILive. You?d be looking at $899 off the top of my head for the FlashScan v2, then if going the Edge CTS route for gauges, add on those costs in the above post, what switch on the fly tuning with that, add the price for a SOTF cable/switch, around $70.

Pricing when it comes to someone who doesn?t do their own tuning and will be purchasing tuning from someone, the $299 for the HP Tuners interface is appealing I?m sure as no one wants to spend money but always wants everything. But the purchase of a set of tunes plus the interface you?ll be getting up towards the $1000 mark anyways. Running a custom tune at minimum a person absolutely should be using an EGT gauge at minimum. Add another couple hundred minimum just for a stand-alone EGT Gaige and probe. It truly doesn?t take much at all of a sudden there really isn?t much difference in money spent in the end. What it ultimately boils down to is what the end user wants for themselves and the features they would like to have. SOTF can be done with HP Tuners through some hackery and trickery but on other levels there still is limitations there depending on what you want to be able to do when it comes to custom parameters and things of that nature or real time tuning. So I?m the end it?s all about what you want to have for yourself.

Tuner
    Wider range of trucks to be tuned would be nice for sure but at this time there is nothing set in a timeline of availability to tune the 2013+ trucks.

The whole cost thing is pretty easy to show that when it really boils down to it, price differences between different platforms once you get set up with gauges and all that to bring things out to a more equal playing level, there really is not a huge difference. As a self tuner the most expensive route to go if you have a 2006+ would be EFILive. You?d be looking at $899 off the top of my head for the FlashScan v2, then if going the Edge CTS route for gauges, add on those costs in the above post, what switch on the fly tuning with that, add the price for a SOTF cable/switch, around $70.

Pricing when it comes to someone who doesn?t do their own tuning and will be purchasing tuning from someone, the $299 for the HP Tuners interface is appealing I?m sure as no one wants to spend money but always wants everything. But the purchase of a set of tunes plus the interface you?ll be getting up towards the $1000 mark anyways. Running a custom tune at minimum a person absolutely should be using an EGT gauge at minimum. Add another couple hundred minimum just for a stand-alone EGT Gaige and probe. It truly doesn?t take much at all of a sudden there really isn?t much difference in money spent in the end. What it ultimately boils down to is what the end user wants for themselves and the features they would like to have. SOTF can be done with HP Tuners through some hackery and trickery but on other levels there still is limitations there depending on what you want to be able to do when it comes to custom parameters and things of that nature or real time tuning. So I?m the end it?s all about what you want to have for yourself.
    I see what you mean it would be nice to buy one unit that has all the tuning and gauges in one package and its faster to tune vehicles with SOTF and datalogging.. EFI Live for me would be a waste of money unless I had a shop where I am tuning a bunch of vehicles everyday. The SOTF for hp tuners is sketchy to me and I wouldnt trust it.. hah The reason I went with hp tuners is because I have a my 06 cummins and also a LS swapped truck that is running a factory ecm.. So I can tune both vehicles with 4 credits...

I have done a bunch of the CTS2 Pro's, you can load 5 custom tunes built with HPTuners onto the edge. You can't switch on the fly, but you have the tunes at your disposal all the time without a laptop.
    MM3 is good as well, but I prefer tuning the 03-05 with HPTuners.

Dom, did you ever do data logging with the edge? What did you think?