Thread: 5.3l STOCK IN 50 TRUCK- glowing red headers

Tuner in Training

5.3l STOCK IN 50 TRUCK- glowing red headers

My buddy purchased a stock 5.3l harness computer and trans from a 2005 express with P59 computer. Truck engine setup is stock minus headers with no cats and intake tube but stock maf
    Keith 1950 Truck stock 5.3l.hptkeith log 1.hpl.

The headers glow red in 2 minutes of running. The idle is high so computer is pulling timing. The swap came with the etc pedal as well which seems to not return to idle smoothly either. No manifold leaks. Any suggestions? Thank you for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

The computer is not from a express van, the vehicle details says the computer/calibration is from a 2004 5.3 Silverado.

Does the ETC pedal and TAC module part numbers match the numbers that would be used in a 2004 silverado application??

The key on engine off MAP reading is 102kpa, do you live at sea level??

I would also go into the calibration and set the torque mngt abuse mode settings to 8,000rpm and 0mph, so it's a non factor. As well as going into the systems tab, then to systems options and setting the brake torque mngt box from 1 to 0 to disable that feature. I know that can cause weird issues with timing and open/closed loop functions. You will need to do a write entire for that change.

Next you will want to look into the trouble codes being thrown. If you click the details tab at the bottom of the channels list it showing you all the codes that were present at that time. The MAF and heater circuit codes shouldn't cause a massive timing pull but I don't know if that TCC code would.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, at sea level. I will check on the pedal/tac module as well as make the recommended adjustments in torque and brake mgmt. I will see if the codes can be corrected and cleared as well. Thank you for the input.

Tuner
    High idle and glowing red headers is a sign of being lean from an air leak or similar

Vacuum leak!!! Definitely.

how could it be a vacuum leak
    1. that would raise the idle
    2. it would show up on the wideband

cherry header happens when fuel burns inside the exhaust which, if the engine seems to be running normal otherwise, is indicative of a timing retard which the original diagnostician pointed out as the likely culprit already.

oh i see now the idle is high. for some reason my eyes just skipping right over that. i guess i was just so caught up in the stealthy superior way the diagnosis was handled.
    Last edited by kingtal0n; 01-14-2020 at 08:16 PM.

Potential Tuner
    EVAP PURGE SOLENOID port was open on the intake, it was plugged and runs perfect and all but 2 codes went away....
    Thx!!