Thread: write entire? or comparison log?

Tuner in Training

write entire? or comparison log?

I had a p59 ecm I was making basic changes to and it timed out during the erase. now its a good door stop, it had o.s. 12597120 my support ticket established the pcm is dead. I have another already licensed p59 with o.s.12587603. can I just open the stock file from the original pcm and write it to my still working ecm? or do I need to figure out the comparison log feature and go that route? I tried once before to just write entire the stock file on an ecm I had just put credits into and its no longer useful either. this will be done on a bench harness to eliminate any vehicle related issues. what should I do? im out of spare ecm'sat this point, and already out over $200 on credits and my friend/customer cant use his truck, or sell it.
    Last edited by David Sides; 01-13-2020 at 09:23 PM.

To prevent any issues, just copy and paste the data you wish to use.

Do not write another file over this one, it's possible that could cause an issue. So use the compare feature to copy the stuff you need and just to a write calibration only to make the changes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    any tips on using the compare feature in a way that I don't have to change each box one at a time?

Open the first file, then open the file you want to copy from with the compare feature.

Click compare again and click comparison log. Collapse all the boxes. Then you can either copy the entire engine section or you can click the engine icon and pick certain folders. Just right click the icon or folder and copy over all differences.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    ok so I did the copy/ paste from the original ecm to the new one. the truck will start and run but I have no gauges no throttle response (dbw) battery light,air bag light,abs light, and a slight miss.i changed absolutely everything the comparison said was different other than the vin. any ideas?. tach works

I don't know the OS's off hand and what years they exactly go to but I could see an issue if one of the OS's is from say a 2003/2004 and the other is a 2006 or something. They used different pedal and tac modules in those years.

It's possible that you may be required to flash the computer with GM tool to the year/OS you want (as in the previous computer), then license that and make your changes.

Tuner in Training
    that's most likely my problem ,since the truck is an 07 and the new ecm is out of a 04 van. both p59's different o.s. that's why I was asking if I needed to write entire.
    im sure its obvious im not a tuner, Im a builder, but I occasionally need to be able to turn things off like vats, rear o2's, basic stuff. the only reason im going this deep is because I was turning off a couple codes for a friend and the erase timed out and basically bricked his ecm.so I need to get him back up and running. I bricked another ecm trying to put his file on it im assuming either because they were different o.s.'s or because I tried to swap in his vin. this is ecm#3 to be licensed. but at this point im assuming I can put it on the shelf for future use before I destroy it too. having one reflashed to stock costs $185 around here, I can get another for around $50 which still comes out a little cheaper after adding credits.

Tuner in Training
    long story short, I only know enough to be dangerous. but im trying to learn.

I thought the van computers may still be drive by cable up to around 2004ish with 2005 being drive by wire.

You could double check that with the stock file. Go to the systems tab and find the system options. If there is a zero under the ETC section for that specific vehicle platform it is DBC. Then if a "one" is present, it was a drive by wire van.

But still you'd have issues because of the pedal/tac module differences and other differences between the van and truck chassis.

Tuner in Training
    yep, new ecm is gmt610 (no tac) old one was gmt800 (which I changed new ecm to) but I assume that didn't work. unless there is some bcm/tac relearn that needs to be done.

Tuner in Training
    i was trying to copy and paste the files here but i cant get it to work

Yeah, the drop down GMT change wouldn't help you. It would need a full flash to make anything DBW work.

You have to use the attachment feature in the advanced reply if you want to post files or logs.

Tuner in Training
    ok ill just shelf his ecm and use it on a cable throttle swap in the future and we'll have a non licensed ecm flashed to his truck with the gm hardware. thank you for your help. ive actually learned a lot from this issue and your help