Thread: Can I tune a RTT enabled car without having RTT myself?

Advanced Tuner

Question Can I tune a RTT enabled car without having RTT myself?

This weekend I have a guy coming to my house that has HPT and also has a RTT applied to his OS.

I don't have RTT yet (waiting for autotune then I'll buy it), will I be able to download his file, make non RTT changes and upload the file like normal using my equipment?

Just wondering if his RTT enabled OS will stop me from tuning his car with my laptop.

Bill
    2001 Camaro SS M6 - 23,xxx Miles

Huron Speed AC Turbo AC Kit - 6.0L 9.4CR, LS3 Heads, 226 232 115 lsa cam, Turbonetics 7575 1.15 AR Turbo

10.98 @ 133 MPH on 9 lbs boost

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    you would need to license the RTT to be able to tune the vehicle, or just do a full write of a stock OS and you could tune using the stock OS.
    Last edited by Bill@HPTuners; 10-05-2006 at 09:00 AM.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

You can play with RTT on any car if you have VCM Scanner, you just won't be able to flash the changes.

The car just needs to have RTT enabled.
    We got this guy Not Sure, ...

Advanced Tuner
    So do I have to personal have RTT to tune the car in non RTT mode?

Car owner comes over, I download his tune that already has RTT applied to his OS. I log, scan the regular way WITHOUT RTT, after I make the changes I want to the file, can I up load it to his car using my hardware that does not have RTT, yes or no?

If no, this could be a future issue with people getting a retune by people without RTT. What are my options if this is the case?

If you want to tune and flash the vcm enhancement, you need the license for that vehicle and enhancement as well.

It has always been this way.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
    If you want to tune and flash the vcm enhancement, you need the license for that vehicle and enhancement as well.

It has always been this way.

I see this causing a lot of problems for people getting retunes within the next year or two. Basically it forces tuners to upgrade their packages if they tune a car that has a RTT OS installed. You might want to make a note in the help files. Yeah a 2 bar is the same thing but a lot more people will have the standard 1 bar MAF RTT applied than a 2 bar OS.

Is there a way he can uninstall the RTT and still keep his tune or do I have to start from scratch from a stock file? What should I do besides buying a RTT credit right now?

I plan on buying the full unlimited RTT but not till next spring. Can't now, in the process of buying land and we just got hit hard last night with hail. My wifes car and the house got damaged pretty bad.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    like I said you should be able to read the current file, copy over the differences to a stock OS, then do a write entire with the stock OS & just do it that way if you insist on using a stock OS
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by foff667
    like I said you should be able to read the current file, copy over the differences to a stock OS, then do a write entire with the stock OS & just do it that way if you insist on using a stock OS
    I guess thats my only choice for now, thanks!

If you have the unlimited gen3 cars and trucks (as most shops do), then you get all of the enhancements for free anyway.

Advanced Tuner

Question

Quote Originally Posted by Keith@HPTuners
    If you have the unlimited gen3 cars and trucks (as most shops do), then you get all of the enhancements for free anyway.

I do have the unlimited support for all Gen 3 cars but not the trucks, does that still qualify?

Tuner in Training
    Why don't use the car owners software/cable to flash the new tune in.

Quote Originally Posted by Billiumss

I do have the unlimited support for all Gen 3 cars but not the trucks, does that still qualify?
    No, you must have both unlimited gen3 vehicle groups to receive unlimited vcm enhancements.