Thread: Can I change the VIN on a 2009 Acadia (installing a used PCM)?

Can I change the VIN on a 2009 Acadia (installing a used PCM)?

First off, I wish I could search just this V6 forum to see if something similar has been posted. Next, my wife's truck quit and long story short it looks like the PCM is bad. I have purchased the original VIN in HPT, however the truck is not here since it is broken down so I can't plug in my laptop to test if I can change it. I want to find out before I buy a used PCM if I can change the VIN on this model like you can on the older V8 trucks. My only other option is a reman unit with the VIN pre-programmed at 4x the price. Since I'm selling this PoC truck as soon as it is fixed I don't want to sink any more money into it than needed.

Thanks for any help.
    Currently (2020) swapping an LM4 5.3 and an older 4L80 into a Dodge Durango. My prior projects include Chevy Gen 1 V8 into an FB RX-7, Gen 3 V8s into an FC RX-7, a MK3 Supra, a BMW E34, and an LT1 into a 280Z. Still have the Datsun, a 383 LT4 Trans Am, and some bikes.

I should think you could take the used new-to-you PCM to the dealer and get it flashed with the proper operating system for your Acadia and the VIN for your Acadia. But I have no clue what the dealer would charge you.

Rick
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

Thanks. I found some info here from 2011 that indicated I'd have to license both PCMs, so it's more cost-effective to buy a pre-programmed reman unit with a warranty vs changing a used one w/ no warranty.

Tuner in Training
    I have the same problem, hptuner ask that you have support for the vehicle and for the vin you are trying to write, but the software think you are in a new vehicle when you plug a other used pcm.
    is not the deal, I have support for the v?hicule and is vin, and for writing my vin and prog on a used pcm, I must pay new support for the vin of he donnor car.

hptuner don't worry about pcm change?

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the tip! I was about to ask the same thing.