Thread: Optimizing downpipe install

Tuner in Training

Optimizing downpipe install

Hello! I just purchased HPTuners and want to begin learning how to tune my car. What are some good resources I can start to look at so I know what to look for when data logging and what changes to make? I noticed when I put my downpipe in, I was getting mpg gains fast but now the car is definitely getting drastically lower MPG. I suspect the car is detecting the increase in mileage and retarding the tune. Any advice?

Attached is my stock tune and a data log.
    1-17-2020-20_30.hpl
    stock.hpt
    Last edited by scottyl; 01-17-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    Hard to help when all we know is you have a downpipe.
    What is your vehicle?

Tuner in Training
    Apologies, 2016 Cadillac ATS E80 ECM. Catless downpipe. I'm also seeing some knock. I figured I could lower the timing in the areas it is knocking but I'm not sure if it's actually knocking or just the sensor being sensitive.

6.2.PNG

2.PNG

3.5.PNG
    Last edited by scottyl; 01-19-2020 at 06:46 PM.

As far as I know, 2.0 LTG cars with E80 / E80A ECM's have wideband Oxygen sensor. which is great for tuning the fueling.

You could lower the timing to see if the KR is real or false.

utube "Goat Rope Garage"
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP_...JqJOiGoCRT5SCw

He speaks clearly and his videos explain enough to start messing a little with the tune.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBoostBuick View Post
    As far as I know, 2.0 LTG cars with E80 / E80A ECM's have wideband Oxygen sensor. which is great for tuning the fueling.

You could lower the timing to see if the KR is real or false.

utube "Goat Rope Garage"
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCP_...JqJOiGoCRT5SCw

He speaks clearly and his videos explain enough to start messing a little with the tune.
    Thank you! I will check him out. When lowering the timing should I lower the whole chart by a multiplier or watch the spark retard when logging KR and lower the specific areas I'm knocking?

I also started logging some extra params:

4.7.PNG

I don't believe this is false knock because it only really happens when shifting in a lower rpm.

I also am working on a diagram to describe how the ECU is controlling and managing power. Feedback is appreciated

Untitled Diagram.png
    Last edited by scottyl; 01-20-2020 at 11:35 AM.