Thread: question on trans swap 99-04 mustang

question on trans swap 99-04 mustang

so, if i had a manual car/ecm and wanted to swap a factory automatic in.is it as simple as getting the trans harness and enabling the auto tune in the ecm? the factory tune looks to already be there and is just disabled. just wanted to see if anybody has any experience with such before i try anything there

Tuner in Training
    In theory yes. You need to enable all parameters in the auto section that apply to what you have, most of them are usually filled in. Most people go the opposite direction which is much easier, but I?ve done this with GM gen 3 PCM?s pretty easily.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by mach View Post
    so, if i had a manual car/ecm and wanted to swap a factory automatic in.is it as simple as getting the trans harness and enabling the auto tune in the ecm? the factory tune looks to already be there and is just disabled. just wanted to see if anybody has any experience with such before i try anything there
    No. You can take a auto PCM to manual but you cannot take a manual PCM and make it run a auto.

Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    No. You can take a auto PCM to manual but you cannot take a manual PCM and make it run a auto.
    have you tried it? the tune is already there,just not enabled? i didnt figure it would work, but just trying to find out why before i decide how i want to control it.

Advanced Tuner
    have you tried it? the tune is already there,just not enabled? i didnt figure it would work, but just trying to find out why before i decide how i want to control it.
    I haven't done this myself but back in 2013 before I knew anything about Fords my buddy ran into this with his swap. I spoke with him a bit ago and asked him. He told me that from what he remembers his tuner told him the manual PCM actually lacks the hardware to control the torque converter and overdrive. Various other sources say the same.

Quote Originally Posted by momotunes View Post
    I haven't done this myself but back in 2013 before I knew anything about Fords my buddy ran into this with his swap. I spoke with him a bit ago and asked him. He told me that from what he remembers his tuner told him the manual PCM actually lacks the hardware to control the torque converter and overdrive. Various other sources say the same.
    i dont doubt that. figured since the tune was in there, it may be worth looking into though...that sucks

Advanced Tuner
    i dont doubt that. figured since the tune was in there, it may be worth looking into though...that sucks
    When I get back in town I'll look through my junk. I had two PCM's. One from a 01 stang and one from a 03 F350. I gave one of them away and I can't remember which one. If I still have it I'll give it to you.

Advanced Tuner
    as stated you cannot use a manual trans ecu for an automatic

tcc epc trs and solenoids wont work since the hardware is missing

just simply get an 04 automatic ecu and copy over your vin and pats code
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/