Thread: LS Two-step Exhibition Tune

Tuner in Training

LS Two-step Exhibition Tune

Exhibition meaning: flames, lots of popping and noise.

I was talking to a guy at a cars/coffee meet-up who was asking me for advice on this subject.

He has either an L92 or L76 truck variant 6.0L (cant remember specifically now) swapped in a 3rd gen Camaro, naturally apsirated, long tubes, decent cam, straight pipe, 93 octane. Uses an msd two step for launch control at the track.
    He wants to be able to load or have it tuned so that during the two-step it will shoot flames make noise, ya know the pop-pop-flame-pop thing. Just using it at dyno events, burnout competitions, car shows ect; advertises his auto body business on the car so wants to draw attention to it.

I understand how everything works (two-step pulls spark creating intentional misfire to limit rpm, thus unburnet fuel dumps into exahust and then can ignite), but Im not sure what to modify in the which tables or if it is even possible to do so.
    Last edited by briscobones; 01-19-2020 at 04:03 PM.
    2007.5 GMC Sierra 4x4 - L76 6.0L, Comp Cam VVT, DOD delete, LSXRT Intake, lS7 TB, KN CAI-
    1 3/4 LT Headers, 3 inch custom dual/x-pipe, 7" Lift, 35's, 4L70E (stock), old set-up made 345rwhp

2002 Camaro Z28 6spd - 5.7L, SLP Lid, TSP 2.5 true dual and 1 7/8 LT Headers
    Hopefully a big bad crate engine soon.

Tuner in Training
    Bump
    2007.5 GMC Sierra 4x4 - L76 6.0L, Comp Cam VVT, DOD delete, LSXRT Intake, lS7 TB, KN CAI-
    1 3/4 LT Headers, 3 inch custom dual/x-pipe, 7" Lift, 35's, 4L70E (stock), old set-up made 345rwhp

2013 OBM A6 CTS-V Coupe
    Mods: Headers back Billy Boat Exhaust, GripTec 2.65, 8.6 PowerBond Lower, LSX Innovations Solid Isolator, ID850's, NGK TR7IX's, Accel 9070CK Wires, Spectre CAI, SRI Ported Throttle Body, SRI Catch Can, NGK AFRM, 160* T-Stat, 0fx2gv Brick, Hard Line Delete W/3/4" Lines, FB 101 FMIC, Pierberg CWA50, Stoptech Drilled/Slotted Rotors, EBC Redstuff, Cut Stock Springs, Flat Bottom Steering Wheel
    2006 Black Raven STS-V (Traded In)
    Fully Modded: 459RWHP@5888rpm/451lbft@4696rpm

Tuner in Training
    Oh yeah, Ive already spent HOURS on google. Everything I could find was using HP Tuners to make a 2-step type tune when not using an actually 2-step box, or posts bout changing the tune to build more boost with a 2-step box. Or a few posts on how to shoot flames on deacceleration with DFCO and so on.

Tuner in Training
    Weve tried setting the 2-step at 1,500 all the way to 4,500 rpm. I even tried playing around with the time just a little. I am just hesitant to start adjusting things blindly. Would be great if anyone on here has experience with this that can help.

Haven't run into this either, perhaps write to the manufacturer? Not that he'll give you the information you need, but you can try. Also, maybe my friend worked with it, I'll try to find out from him, maybe he knows something.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Daniel-J View Post
    Haven't run into this either, perhaps write to the manufacturer? Not that he'll give you the information you need, but you can try. Also, maybe my friend worked with it, I'll try to find out from him, maybe he knows something.
    Yeah, I was watching youtube last night, saw a stock 5.3L truck on its 2-step shooting flames all the way out a full exhaust system.
    Starting to wonder if there could be something wrong with the engine, or possibly the current tune is somehow counter-acting the flame somehow.

Uh. This shouldn't difficult to do (things that ruin your engine usually are not)

You just get the engine to run like it thinks there nothing wrong (the normal tuning is fine)
    Then pull spark using an external source such as a ignition cut device.

Momentarily of course unless you want an explosion instead of pops.

The effect is fuel burns in the exhaust and creates a high pressure there, potentially knocking open exhaust valves and causing piston to valve contact.
    Flames will come out unless there is something in the way like a cat or alot of bendy bends.

So I'd say you got a exhaust filter somewhere (cat or cat-like device) acting as a screen. Or perhaps the system is just too twisty turney. Thats what cut-outs are for?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kingtal0n View Post
    Uh. This shouldn't difficult to do (things that ruin your engine usually are not)

You just get the engine to run like it thinks there nothing wrong (the normal tuning is fine)
    Then pull spark using an external source such as a ignition cut device.

Momentarily of course unless you want an explosion instead of pops.

The effect is fuel burns in the exhaust and creates a high pressure there, potentially knocking open exhaust valves and causing piston to valve contact.
    Flames will come out unless there is something in the way like a cat or alot of bendy bends.

So I'd say you got a exhaust filter somewhere (cat or cat-like device) acting as a screen. Or perhaps the system is just too twisty turney. Thats what cut-outs are for?
    Long tube headers, 2.5 inch dual exhaust, cutouts, no cats.
    Albeit the cutouts are kinda far downstream, and after the x-pipe (which I wouldn't have done and not a fan of).