Thread: Considering '00-'04 GAGT for a project

Potential Tuner

Considering '00-'04 GAGT for a project

What parameters are available for turning involving turbocharging the 3.4L engine? Do I have to change the stock MAF after a certain point and is going to an LS1 MAF preferable or not?

I want to confirm before diving into this and make sure HPT is up to the task.

Thanks

The computers are pretty basic and if it was me I wouldn't suggest running one. You will have limited control over what you really want to do. An aftermarket controller will give you far better control over fueling/spark/boost.

To answer the question about the MAF, yes you would end up out flowing it. The 3800 crowd uses the LS truck MAF sensors or the LS1 MAF sensors to gain back resolution on the MAF curve. A better aftermarket computer would have a way better use of speed density and no MAF needed/wanted.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

The 3400 has the same ECM parameters as the 3800. So I assume the tuning would be very similar.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeroBoostBuick View Post
    The 3400 has the same ECM parameters as the 3800. So I assume the tuning would be very similar.
    Are the TCM controls the same? I was actually thinking of changing the transmission from the stock unit to the one from the Chevy HHR SS and try to get the same Competition Mode which has launch control and allows stalling at higher RPM.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    The computers are pretty basic and if it was me I wouldn't suggest running one. You will have limited control over what you really want to do. An aftermarket controller will give you far better control over fueling/spark/boost.

To answer the question about the MAF, yes you would end up out flowing it. The 3800 crowd uses the LS truck MAF sensors or the LS1 MAF sensors to gain back resolution on the MAF curve. A better aftermarket computer would have a way better use of speed density and no MAF needed/wanted.
    I agree however the budget means sticking with flashing the PCM.

Swapping transmission like that is out of the question. The computer could never control a HHR transmission. The cobalt/HHR etc all run different controllers and electronics.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

HHR Transmission (auto or manual) will never work on a 00-04' Grand AM.

Transmission electronics between 3800 Grand Prix / Regal / Impala etc... are the same as with the Grand AM 3.4 V6.
    However... Grand AM 2.4 L have different computers and not compatible with 3800 cars.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the calcification. Of course I could control the trans with a 3rd party controller but that kind of defeats the budget purpose doesn't it? I don't have my heart set on making a Grand AM GT fast even if it's low hanging fruit.

So I have switched to looking at W-body cars specifically the Grand Prix GTP/GT. I've found a few sub $3,000 cars locally. I have something in mind for that I will keep to myself for now.

Thanks for the input and I look forward to working with HP Tuners.
    Last edited by ATune; 02-03-2020 at 10:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ATune View Post
    Thanks for the calcification. Of course I could control the trans with a 3rd party controller but that kind of defeats the budget purpose does it? I don't have my heart set on making a Grand AM GT fast even if it's low hanging fruit.

So I have switched to looking at W-body cars specifically the Grand Prix GTP/GT. I've found a few sub $3,000 cars locally. I have something in mind for that I will keep to myself for now.

Thanks for the input and I look forward to working with HP Tuners.

Don't overlook the Regal. Sometimes you can find a 1999-2005 with low miles in excellent shape because plenty of old folks owned them. They're not the prettiest, but they're a good sleeper.