Thread: Trying to tune SD but can't find tab.

Tuner in Training

Trying to tune SD but can't find tab.

In the fuel tab under Open Loop Base, I don't see:

EQ Ratio

STFT Open Loop

I see:

ECT Fuel Mult

STFT Open Loop

Can't find EQ ratio anywhere

Operating System 2020003 BE87
    GM P01, Gen 3, operating 2020003,

Tuner in Training
    Motor is modded with may upgrade. The PCM came from a 1999 pontiac firebird formula / trans Am 5.7 L, 8 Cyl.
    My tuner (which is 1500 miles away) used EFI. I'm using hptuner

Tuner in Training

Post your tune. Tables are likely labeled different because it was tuned with an EFI upgraded file. It's going to throw you for a loop.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I'll try to post them, I need a minute I nearly 60 years old

Tuner in Training

1968 Pontiac catalina HP tune

Here are the files
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    Post your tune. Tables are likely labeled different because it was tuned with an EFI upgraded file. It's going to throw you for a loop.
    Thanks for any help

The OPEN loop EQ ratio is replaced by that ETC Fuel Multi table on this OS. From the looks of it, that is already setup fine as it's requesting 1.00 (stoich) above 140 degree coolant temps. This table just has way less resolution to a normal file.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    that os id is ALREADY a custom operating system so there won't be anything in the OS tab.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Tuner in Training
    Thanks guys, watching Chopperdoc YouTube video through me off. I know I'm using the latest Hp version.
    I'm trying to find out why my MAF is not reading.
    Trying to set up TB voltage and position channels.
    Car is almost ready to try to tune it on the street. Wideband is working but when I step on the gas it goes from 14 to 16, must be the large cam, too much air
    I must have set up misfire channel wrong because none of them are reporting.

I'm retired and learning how to do this. My 02 b1 and 02 b2 banks ( on the gauges) are both even at 450 each, that must also be the large cam. She idles at 1,000

427 C5R block
    Callies dragon slayer 4.0" crank
    Comp star rods (made by Callies)
    Weseco pistons -8 cc
    ETP 225cc heads , ported to 232cc by WCCH 2.12 intake 1,94 exhaust valves, .700" lift valve springs
    Cam 255/257 .624/.624 lift on 111 +4
    Super Victor intake
    105mm TB with custom elbow
    Stock rockers
    LS7 lifters
    ported oil pump
    dual roller timing chain

Tuner in Training
    This video is 6 years old, now that I'm retired I can work on it. Yes the body is the same but it is going to a shop this week when i get it back I register it and start street tuning, the hard part maybe finding a good mustang dyno.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aGxjlAhGNeM
    Last edited by RTCTSV; 01-21-2020 at 07:02 PM.

Tuner in Training
    Yesterday ran a scan it has p0102, p0103 and p1637, I miss the old days when all I had to do was touch 2 screws on the carburetor. But I feel great when it come together.

The MAF does not read because it's been disabled. This current tune is setup to run in speed density without the MAF sensor. That is also why you have the codes P0102 and P0103 because the MAF sensor is failed within the calibration for speed density tuning.

The MAF fail high setting the engine diag tab is set to 0hz and the 3 MAF DTC's are set to MIL on first error to enable speed density. It can be enable again by reversing those settings but with this huge engine the MAF sensor is going to become a weak point. The LS1 or truck style MAF sensors are too small and your engine will outflow it. I'm assuming this is the style MAF you are working with.

If your o2 sensors only report 450mv, that means they are either unplugged or there is no power at the connectors.

This tune also has the o2 sensor disabled, which is normal when tuning with a wideband o2 sensor. Your short term fuel trims, long term fuel trims and closed loop enable table is maxxed out to prevent closed loop fuel control.

Setting up a wideband error or AFR/Lambda error against the commanded AFR/Lambda is the best way to dial in the fueling. You'd want to keep the current settings for the o2 sensors/closed loop when using a wideband so nothing is altering the fueling. All your changes would be done to the primary VE table.

And while you're at it, you should adjust the tune so that the cylinder volume matches the current engine size. Airflow/fueling calculations take this number into account. Right now the computer thinks it's a 5.7 engine size still.

And make sure your injector data is correct as well as fuel pressure is good. Injectors are typically rated at 43.5 or 58psi and the injector flow rate needs to be correct for whichever pressure you are running. Hopefully your previous tuner had this setup correctly before hand.

Tuner in Training
    5FDP thank you, thank you, thank you. Yes I'm running 63 pound injectors, gas gauge is holding 60 pounds.

Quote: And while you're at it, you should adjust the tune so that the cylinder volume matches the current engine size. Airflow/fueling calculations take this number into account. Right now the computer thinks it's a 5.7 engine size still. I'll look into it

Quote: Setting up a wideband error or AFR/Lambda error against the commanded AFR/Lambda is the best way to dial in the fueling. I'll look into it

Quote: If your o2 sensors only report 450mv, that means they are either unplugged or there is no power at the connectors. Just remembered, I have no 02 sensors on the headers

[/B]

Tuner in Training

Operating systems

Files are attached
    Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    The MAF does not read because it's been disabled. This current tune is setup to run in speed density without the MAF sensor. That is also why you have the codes P0102 and P0103 because the MAF sensor is failed within the calibration for speed density tuning. Well tomorrow I turn them off

You do not want to turn them off. If you want to tune in speed density, the codes must be present. You can just disable the SES box if you don't want a check engine light on if you are running a dash.

So for tuning the VE table in speed density, the MAF must be failed as it is now. If you choose to tune with the MAF after you are done with VE tuning you can re-enable the MAF sensor. The settings will be based on what MAF sensor is in installed but like I said earlier, that is a large engine a stock size MAF sensor is going to be too small and you will reach the limit of the sensor quickly.

Tuner in Training
    What I meant was I was changing the Error mode from MIL on first Error to No Error reported, while leave no SES box checked, so it won't show a trouble code.

I know exactly what you meant and you can't do that.

As I said the trouble code must be present for speed density. The idea of the whole thing is to have the code tripped so the computer defaults to speed density instead of using the MAF. So for speed density tuning you need to have the codes set to MIL on first error. If you went back to using a MAF sensor, then you'd set the codes back to MIL on second error and plug the correct value back into the MAF fail high Hz setting.