Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AWD 4L80e

Tuner in Training

AWD 4L80e

I cannot find a tune that will work with my awd 4l80e. I am using the tcase vss and a 4x4 4l80e tune but when I drive it just surges and won?t go faster than 10 mph. Feels like it?s starting in second. I was considering a 2wd tune and using the vss port on the trans. I don?t have my left bank emissions sensors in but I don?t think that would cause it. OS 12212156

Advanced Tuner
    Post your tune and a log. It will help tremendously.

Tuner in Training

Tunes and logs

Original Sierra Denali MS Truck.hpt
    First tune Sierra Denali MS Truck 4l80e.hpt
    Log Denali Post tune.hpl
    Second tune tune 2.hpt
    Log tune 2.hpl
    My ABS and parking brake lights are on and I?ve only been writing calibration not entire.
    Last edited by Burb66; 01-22-2020 at 05:25 PM.

A segment swap requires a write entire, so if you didn't do that you will need to for the 4L80e segment to work.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training

Tunes and logs

Okay did a 'write entire' and the first tune was more responsive but still not what i think it should be. it doesnt move without a bit of throttle. My speedo does not work and my abs and brake light are still on.
    tune 1tune 1 write entire.hpl
    tune 2tune 2 write entire.hpl

Tuner in Training
    How does the 4x4 tune know im in 4HI (awd) instead of 2wd if I dont have a selector? Is my vss in the wrong spot? (tcase). Could I put the vss in the trans and run 2wd since i dont need any 4x4 functions? Just dont want to hurt the trans.

Advanced Tuner
    PCM doesnt care if its in 2HI or 4HI. It only needs to know about 4LOW to change the shifts.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by RDF1 View Post
    PCM doesnt care if its in 2HI or 4HI. It only needs to know about 4LOW to change the shifts.
    So i could use a 2wd tune since 2vs 4 doesnt matter in the high range? Since I don?t need 4LO. Or would I need and Astro awd or An SS truck 4l80e tune?
    Last edited by Burb66; 01-22-2020 at 10:00 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Correct. IF its a AWD transfer case with no selections. Then you can use 2wd or 4wd tune.

Tuner in Training
    Okay so I just loaded the 2wd tune and it feels relatively better however my abs light is on and my speedo doesnt work and the parking brake light comes on after driving for a couple minutes.

newest log: 2wd tune 3.hpl

It doesn't make much sense that just doing a segment swap brought all these other problems.

You also have a non working driver side o2 sensor, trims are pegged and o2 sensor does pretty much nothing.

You are tossing a P0502 code per this log. This is why you are getting no speedo and ABS faults.

Figure out why you are getting this trouble code. It's circuit related.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I will be able to fix the o2 sensors today. What do you mean by ?trims are pegged?? I?m extremely green with this software. I know the engine isn?t running correctly but that wouldn?t affect how the transmission feels right? What I mean is that when I let off the brake While stationary the vehicle doesn?t even want to move. I have to give it quite a bit of throttle to make it even start moving. This isn?t normal right? I haven?t even looked at the gearing on my tune mostly because I don?t know enough and don?t want to mess anything up.

Tuner in Training
    Okay, latest and greatest: 2wd tune 3.hpl

Speedo is definitely not accurate and only gets up to 15 max but I am not sure if there is a reluctor ring in the trans so I am going to go back to tune 2 as it was 4wd as well as move the vss back to the transfer case. If still no speed still i will try to see if the wiring is loose somewhere but at least it read something other than zero today. It also shifts very late and i have to let off the throttle for it to shift. Is this because of the speedo or something I need to tune out? The abs and brake light went off then back on but by the time I parked they were off again. Trying to get it wrapped up this weekend because I have been about 6 months without a vehicle with a heater. That motorcycle gets pretty hard to ride once it snows.

Advanced Tuner
    I had a guy build me a 2wd 4L80E and he put a 4wd planetary in it. Well it didn't have a reluctor wheel but the VSS was picking up the Park Pawleys engagements so I had to change some stuff in the tune to be able to drive it. But it worked. So even if your reluctor is missing, it should read something.

Tuner in Training
    So I got the speedo to read kind of accurately but it is very floaty. And my torque converter never locks up. I have a roots style blower so I?d like to lock up as early as possible like second gear and remain locked through 4th although I?m not sure about shifting while locked even though I saw that as an option. What do you guys think? And how can I accomplish this

Tuner in Training
    When I have the vss plugged into the transmission it reads about half of the actual speed and when I?m plugged into the tcase I get nothing at all. So I changed the vss pulses per second to 60,000 from 117k something and it reads kind of accurate but seems like it floats around and isn?t as quick or precise anymore. I would rather have the vss in the tcase because I am all wheel drive. I would also like to lock the converter up in second and I think keep it locked through all the shifts. Can anyone help with this?

Advanced Tuner
    If it's a 4wd 4L80E then your not getting the correct reading on the rear VSS because it's picking up the Park Pawleys engagements.
    Need to figure out why the Xcase isn't giving yout a signal.

For locking TCC in 2nd. Use this.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthread.php?44953&44953

What torque converter do you have?
    I have mine set to unlock between shifts and it's not noticeable with a stock converter at light throttle.

Advanced Tuner
    Pull rear VSS.
    Look in there and see if it looks like this.Screenshot_2020-01-27-07-30-06-1.jpg

If so. You have to figure out the transfer case issue.

Tuner in Training
    I asked the the trans builder (Jake?s performance) if there was a tone ring/ reluctor in the transmission there and he said that they build almost all of their trans with one. And I know for a fact the tcase has a tone ring because I rebuilt it myself (which maybe contributing to my issues lol). The far edges were very barely boogered from pulling and pressing it on but that would make no difference in signal right? For a converter i have a single disc billet 258mm converter 2500-2800 stall from Jake as well.
    Last edited by Burb66; 01-27-2020 at 08:45 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    hum...
    IF it were me, id try a new VSS sensor and then check the wiring to the PCM.