Thread: CobraJet and monoblade giving me the blues

Potential Tuner

CobraJet and monoblade giving me the blues

Car is a 2014 with CobraJet and monoblade and its giving me the blues. I have tried the methods from some of the threads here and no help. The car has ported heads, comp stg 3 cams, and lu47s. I have decided to just start from scratch, so it has the throttle data from the CobraJet file in the repository. I have switched back to stock torque/inverse tables and driver demand. I need some guidance on where to start on getting this idle dialed in. The car will be fine and then just start hunting idle, surging for some reason. Let me know if any other info is needed. I know i should attach the tune file but i don't know how.
    Last edited by newtooner; 01-22-2020 at 02:57 PM.

Advanced Tuner
    Post the tune and the log so anyone here can take a look and see what’s going sir.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't see any option to attach files to the thread and I don't know how to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by newtooner View Post
    Car is a 2014 with CobraJet and monoblade and its giving me the blues. I have tried the methods from some of the threads here and no help. The car has ported heads, comp stg 3 cams, and lu47s. I have decided to just start from scratch, so it has the throttle data from the CobraJet file in the repository. I have switched back to stock torque/inverse tables and driver demand. I need some guidance on where to start on getting this idle dialed in. The car will be fine and then just start hunting idle, surging for some reason. Let me know if any other info is needed. I know i should attach the tune file but i don't know how.
    Definitely not a combo to start your tuning adventure with. Monoblade + cams for a beginner? No no...

I charge the same money for cams as I charge for boosted tunes for a reason.

Potential Tuner
    Thanks for the reply, but its my personal car so no reason not to.

Advanced Tuner
    I agree with this. I tuned a boss 302 with a 3.6 kenne belle with almost no knowledge to start. I?d just started tuning my own n/a car maybe a year earlier and the learning curve was pretty steep. If I had to put the hours spent on it in a lump sum it would be probably equal to a weeks worth of working 9-5. Getting drivability and starting and idling was all a process of making an educated guess and trying it. Now the car starts runs and drives almost like a stock vehicle and pulls so hard it scares me. This car belongs to my boss and not me but the premise is basically the same. I?d tuned it n/a and since the credits were already paid for, we figured it?s worth a shot and if I failed it would have been tuned probably by someone like Lund or someone versed with the experience with them.

For me, being forced to learn is usually the best way lol.

Tuner
    Let us know when you find the problem and post the good tune for review.

Tuner in Training
    That’s about the same combo I learned to tune on, except with nitrous. Take your time and do a lot of reading after I figured out a couple things the car went .500 faster in the quarter mile then a big name mustang tuner’s tune.

Potential Tuner
    Alright so finally making some progress, well I feel like its progress. I made a couple of changes and the car is doing better but still have a couple of questions. I started off by using the torque inverse calculator in the software to help with my torque errors. This did help alot but didn't quite clear up everything. Next I started to make adjustments with the effective area calculator for the throttle body. I wasn't sure if i was using the calculator correctly but i was using a method i found on an old post here. It basically was add up all errors in the log, get the average and divide in half. Ex. if error is in .04 and there are 3 errors: -.425+.235+.300=.11/3=.036/2=.018 this would be the correction factor to add to the row. Maybe one of the more experienced calibrators on here can tell me if there is a better way to do it or not. The process worked and got me closer but then I remembered that i hadn't touched the actual idle throttle angle air flow in the tune. I used my scanner to match the airflow and throttle angle up as best i could. It doesn't look as good as i would like but its working so far, again maybe an area one of the more experienced calibrators can help me with. I can say the car is doing better especially at lower rpms and idle. The question i have now is about torque based decel. I see that engine brake torque is extremely high, how can i adjust that? I have attached the tune and log so please review and give your thoughts.
    Last edited by newtooner; 01-28-2020 at 04:20 PM.