Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: timing or fuel

Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
    I also have a much easier time getting clean good milage tunes out of a 6.7. The 5.9's just aren't quite as easy to get it out of. The 3rd gen 6.7's especially I've been able to be in the 21-22 pretty consistently.
    The guy I am referencing and I think it might have to do with the piston design... Mine is smoke free in the cruise zone and only starts smoking when on it heavy, it is not near dialed in up there though... again, I found my sweet spot and trimmed duration to get it that way.

Banned
    Me I get decent consistent mileage on 5.9?s, smoke harder to control then opposite on the 6.7?s, easier to control smoke but fight more on the mileage part. While on my 2012 with pilot in the mix I?ve gotten 21.5mpg it?s not consistent, one tank I can get, next it?ll be like 16mpg. It can vary a lot but when running my VP tune it?s consistent 21-22mpg.

Banned
    Towing mileage I?ve been able to get better out of the 5.9 vs the 6.7 as well

Banned
    Some of the states I travel through got crazy winds on the interstates so it?s always a battle against the wind it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Me I get decent consistent mileage on 5.9?s, smoke harder to control then opposite on the 6.7?s, easier to control smoke but fight more on the mileage part. While on my 2012 with pilot in the mix I?ve gotten 21.5mpg it?s not consistent, one tank I can get, next it?ll be like 16mpg. It can vary a lot but when running my VP tune it?s consistent 21-22mpg.
    Could the difference in performance be related to the pilot correction tables?

Running blind on the pilot timing (PT), I pulled PT closer to the main event, in doing so power went up. So the assumption is the pilot was igniting around TDC causing a drop in power. That change was to a small block of cells that I hit on every drive. Pilot qty had been previously reduced in that area and I never put in a lot of time to figure out what was up with it. Going back to it again soon with an updated tune which removes post in certain areas and expands on the changes done to pilot timing.