Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: HP Tuners Now Offering 2014-2019 Ram & Grand Cherokee Ecodiesel Support

Many thanks.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

I contacted support about a few items for Ecodiesel tuning. Their response:

We've uncovered the 9 modes from the OEM code but we do not have indication of which each mode may correspond to.
    We are not able to add a PID to show the active mode.
    The EGR switch will not be added to diesel vehicles of any type. As we are located in the US we are also governed by the laws in the US.
    I've consulted our engineers about the 12 types of DTC codes and we are not sure of the what they are. We found the OEM values and made them avialable but we don't exactly know what they correspond to.

The active mode PID is absolutely required for logging fuel to determine what table and cell is being referenced.

If anyone reading this can answer the DTC question, I'd greatly appreciate it.
    Last edited by Billf6531; 03-20-2020 at 05:11 PM.
    Best regards,
    Bill
    Silver 2003 C5 roadster, M6, Euro red/amber tails, Z06 Ti mufflers, Z06 2 cat H-pipe, Z06 airbox, and HPTuners s/w - available to any Corvette or other GM vehicle in Calgary, and also for Ford and Dodge products, including Cummins

Tuner in Training
    I contacted support about this issue, but does anyone have any idea why I can't write the software update necessary to read my GDE tuned Grand Cherokee? I had no problems with my Ram.

Quote Originally Posted by LTstewy8 View Post
    I contacted support about this issue, but does anyone have any idea why I can't write the software update necessary to read my GDE tuned Grand Cherokee? I had no problems with my Ram.
    Idk man, i was able to pull the file off my Ram, was your Ram GDE tuned also?

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by Smxtmpr34 View Post
    Idk man, i was able to pull the file off my Ram, was your Ram GDE tuned also?
    The Ram is just a factory AEM recall tune. I highly doubt GDE locked my Grand Cherokee PCM and not others.

Update on DTC Fault Classes: I don't know if I missed it earlier, or if something has changed in the HPT program, but just now I again looked at the Fault Class codes, and noticed Disabled on the list above Type 1. Yahoo!
    Best regards,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Billf6531 View Post
    Update on DTC Fault Classes: I don't know if I missed it earlier, or if something has changed in the HPT program, but just now I again looked at the Fault Class codes, and noticed Disabled on the list above Type 1. Yahoo!
    That must certainly be new. Bc i definitely did not see that the first time i looked at the DCT list.

But does yours show a definition next to the Fault code? Bc now my entire list is blank, and only shows the status of each code on the right
    Last edited by Smxtmpr34; 03-23-2020 at 11:38 AM.

The Ram is just a factory AEM recall tune. I highly doubt GDE locked my Grand Cherokee PCM and not others.
    Let me know if you get it read, id like to compare my tune against yours. And would gladly share mine with you if you'd like to do the same.

Potential Tuner
    I bought the MPVI 2 but have not opened it yet...I am curious to see if anyone can take the acceleration lag out of the tune after the AEM recall. If it does just that one thing it'll be worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by hoffenbecker View Post
    I bought the MPVI 2 but have not opened it yet...I am curious to see if anyone can take the acceleration lag out of the tune after the AEM recall. If it does just that one thing it'll be worth it.
    Here are snap shots of Tq Management, Driver Demand, Tuned VS Stock AEM trucks. Long time ago i was on the phone with Gdiesel asking about throttle response. They said they could control TQ Filtering Tip-in and Tip-out individually. I had them Turn TQ Filtering off completely, and the Throttle was every bit as quick as a cable throttle. Truck felt amazing accelerating. However having no Filtering on Tip-out was Horrible. Engine Braking hit like a ton of bricks while driving around at low speeds. So i had them update again and just pull some filtering away from Tip-In only.
    I think this chart will only change how much Tq will be applied at a certain pedal position. Not change how quickly it will respond. I could be wrong as I have not tried adjusting them yet.
    Screenshot (2).pngScreenshot (3).pngScreenshot (4).png

Does anyone know if this Trans Engine TQ channel is an accurate enough representation to use for your TQ based Engine charts such as Fueling and Timing? Bc that channel is pulled from the TCM list. Non of the ECM load & TQ channels will show a TQ value, only a % value.

Also has anyone been able to define what the Engine Maps/Modes correspond to?
    Screenshot (5).png

Tuner in Training
    I am happy to report that the delay in throttle response issue is easily fixed using HP Tuners. Step 1: Unplug the EGR valve (Orange plug, passenger side, under engine cover). Step 2: Disable the relevant codes that will pop up because of step 1 (see my tune for example). That's all there is to it. Don't ask me why it's that simple, because I don't know for sure.

Smxtmpr34 is correct about the Driver Demand table not affecting throttle response, but only how much torque is commanded for a given pedal position. You can verify the EGR fix solves the problem by logging "driver demand engine torque" vs "actual engine torque" PIDs in VCM Scanner (see my template and logs). Actual lags demanded torque considerably with the AEM tune, but tracks it very well with EGR unplugged and no DTCs reporting.

Ecodiesel Layout.Layout.xml
    Ecodiesel Layout.Charts.xml
    Ram1ColdStart.hpl
    Ram 5 Base AEM but No EGR.hpl

Base Tune AEM no EGR.hpt
    Last edited by LTstewy8; 03-31-2020 at 10:48 AM.

Tuner in Training
    In addition to the throttle response fix, Billf6531 kindly hooked me up with a GDE file from a Ram same 2015 year and 3.55 gearing as mine. GDE has access to far more than HPT does, and some tables had to be interpolated for values because GDE modified the actual table axes for some maps. But throttle response was not fixed until I did the EGR trick. I did this, and drove around for 200 miles. The truck was definitely quicker and more fun to drive than the base tune with no EGR. I loved it, but there was one problem- when in cruise control, the truck would hold on to lower gears for far too long, thus killing MPGs. This was the case from 55-75 mph.
    I'm sure there is a fix for that, but I don't have the time and I won't buy 4 more credits to license the TCM and find out. The base AEM tune with no EGR fixes throttle response, which is all I really needed ( I don't have enough miles on the base tune with no EGR to give MPG results). If someone would like to give my GDE based tune a try, here it is (over 200 miles, there was maybe 1 MPG improvement in my case, but most of it was not in cruise control to help the MPG situation).

Base Tune with GDE Calibrations No EGR.hpt

Side note, HP Tuners support says my GDE tune is the reason I can't read my Grand Cherokee. I'm not sure why others have been able to read GDE tuned vehicles. So as not to confuse anyone, I have an ecodiesel Ram I left stock and a GDE tuned GC.

Has anyone found Info on what the engine Map/Modes refer to?

Tuner in Training
    There's quite a few torque limiters and airflow tables that could benefit the HPT files by being added to the cal definitions.

Usually the different modes are for 1 or more of the following . Sometimes there are more modes than are actually used.

Part throttle closed loop
    Part throttle open loop
    Catalyst heat up
    Regen
    SCR De-soot
    Derate/safety
    Last edited by vortecfcar; 04-14-2020 at 08:44 AM.

Hey does anyone know how to tell what Map and engine mode the truck is in while driving? Fuel, timing, and boost control all refer to the 8 driving modes, and the scanner does not have a channel for it. So i am hesitant to change anything without knowing what map i'm using.

And if anyone from HPT can chime in are some of the Channels that do not work eventually going to be sorted out? In particular WB EQ ratio, or at least a Commanded Eq ratio from the truck to reference a aftermarket WB gauge against. And MAF frequency, or in this case microseconds
    I'll see about adding a channel for the Mode.
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC

In addition to the throttle response fix, Billf6531 kindly hooked me up with a GDE file from a Ram same 2015 year and 3.55 gearing as mine. GDE has access to far more than HPT does, and some tables had to be interpolated for values because GDE modified the actual table axes for some maps. But throttle response was not fixed until I did the EGR trick. I did this, and drove around for 200 miles. The truck was definitely quicker and more fun to drive than the base tune with no EGR. I loved it, but there was one problem- when in cruise control, the truck would hold on to lower gears for far too long, thus killing MPGs. This was the case from 55-75 mph.
    I'm sure there is a fix for that, but I don't have the time and I won't buy 4 more credits to license the TCM and find out. The base AEM tune with no EGR fixes throttle response, which is all I really needed ( I don't have enough miles on the base tune with no EGR to give MPG results). If someone would like to give my GDE based tune a try, here it is (over 200 miles, there was maybe 1 MPG improvement in my case, but most of it was not in cruise control to help the MPG situation).

Base Tune with GDE Calibrations No EGR.hpt

Side note, HP Tuners support says my GDE tune is the reason I can't read my Grand Cherokee. I'm not sure why others have been able to read GDE tuned vehicles. So as not to confuse anyone, I have an ecodiesel Ram I left stock and a GDE tuned GC.
    I have a stock 15' GC with the AEM completed (it does the coughing thing), I'm going to try the EGR trick first but i have been staging a file based off your attached file "Base Tune with GDE Calibrations No EGR". After i get the No EGR piece working right i wanted to play with these calibrations. Just wanted to confirm this is the GDE hot tune for a RAM? I'm seeing a lot of different perimeters when comparing files. I currently have a Ram with a PPEI 60HP tune GDE hot tune equivalent. I can use the Ram to compare afterwards, in theory the Jeep should be faster due to the AWD trans compared to the 4x4 with the Ram. Which brings me to my next point, are the tunes the same for both styles transmission/vehicles cause looking at them from the TCM it's a completely different animal. I just don't have anything to compare it with. It would be awesome to see what your tuned Jeep file would looked like.

Update: EGR trick worked thx LTstewy8 no more hesitation. I'm going to try the GDE calibrations and let you know how it works out. I'm also going to try to read my truck and compare just for curiosity. If you do get the GC file let me know i'd like to see if there are truly any difference between the two files.
    Last edited by rjrock2002; 04-15-2020 at 02:26 PM. Reason: adding additional information

Hey can someone clarify on this. The other day i did some WOT pulls, just trying to see what map and mode is being used in that condition. To me it looks like Map 2 Mode 0 is the normal map being used. However, while comparing my Fuel Timing for the Main Injection, Nothing comes close to the Timing in the map VS the timing I am reading in the scanner. BUT if you follow the timing and maximum TQ which is 663 ft/Lbs on Map2 Mode 0. Under WOT the scanner and the and the file at 663 ft/lbs seem pretty much dang spot on? Anyone one else feel this way? OR am i doing something wrong. And yes i know its Logging Trans Engine TQ, but thats the only channel that gives your a TQ value that you can plot against in the calibration files.Attachment 98400Attachment 98401Attachment 98402

And obviously on the scanner it wont show a value in 663 ft/Lbs while logging in the chart. What i was doing was just comparing different spots in the RPM row. Flipping back and fourth between Scanner and Editor, So at 2000 RPM im at 10, 2500 im at 13, and so on... To me my INJ timing is right on target, just in the totally wrong column.
    I have yet to license the truck and make a change yet, but i do plan on making the 663 column a fixed number and see if what im thinking is correct
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Smxtmpr34; 04-15-2020 at 05:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric@HPTuners View Post
    I'll see about adding a channel for the Mode.
    Thank you, I've been watching the Beta updates like a hawk updating all the time hoping I see something new lol. One more thing if you could also add a channel for Exhaust Manifold Pressure that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, I've been watching the Beta updates like a hawk updating all the time hoping I see something new lol. One more thing if you could also add a channel for Exhaust Manifold Pressure that would be greatly appreciated.
    Sure, I should be able to add that... anymore requests while I am adding?
    Eric Brooks
    HP Tuners, LLC