Thread: First attempt I broke it ! help

Unhappy First attempt I broke it ! help

Ordered and received new tool, registered new tools. ensure credits were avail. A fear I had! plugged in to vehicle and data logging started no issue. drove over to professional hotrodder, a friend and he showed me how easy it was saving base tune and creating a new tune IE made one change to torque management. very easy until < during write operation begins stops at around 4% and times out message occurs. vehicle will not start now. reloaded base tune and process begins and then again times out. we are always able to read and begin writing the farthest it got was when I tuned radio off went to 16% but the radio rebooted, and dinger occurred and then time out message. My fault I didn?t bring laptop charger, so before It lost power we unplugged shut down and reconnected and was able to begin download and it timed out again. I?m thinking radio is the issue an aftermarket unit with connection to BCM via adapter module. In the am, I will either pull fuse or radio install factory and reattempt. any thoughts

Tuner
    What car and options do you have? That could be an important factor.

Also, are you using the beta VCM suite? I had a very similar experience using the production version (4.4), when I switched to the beta life got much better.

And make absolutely sure the car and the laptop have plenty of electrical power... if the battery gets low on either during a flash operation, there's no telling what could happen.
    Last edited by ELaw; 01-28-2020 at 05:55 AM.

Advanced Tuner
    Pull the fuses for the radio and navigation if you have it. I had the same problem on my buddies 06 H2. I was an idiot though and tried a write entire before I figured out what I was doing wrong and bricked his PCM. Luckily I had already saved a copy of the tune and found a new PCM for $20 on Ebay.

Quote Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
    What car and options do you have? That could be an important factor.

Also, are you using the beta VCM suite? I had a very similar experience using the production version (4.4), when I switched to the beta life got much better.

And make absolutely sure the car and the laptop have plenty of power... if the battery gets low on either during a flash operation, there's no telling what could happen.
    GM truck 2003 2500 6.0 u motor . Thanks for the help how do switch to beta if this fails ?

Quote Originally Posted by Markmx6 View Post
    Pull the fuses for the radio and navigation if you have it. I had the same problem on my buddies 06 H2. I was an idiot though and tried a write entire before I figured out what I was doing wrong and bricked his PCM. Luckily I had already saved a copy of the tune and found a new PCM for $20 on Ebay.
    Yes we thought that might happen so we avoided it . i will pull fuses to radio . first . then radio if need be

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    We would suggest writing via bench harness, sounds like you have some sort of battery or wiring related issue to me.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    We would suggest writing via bench harness, sounds like you have some sort of battery or wiring related issue to me.
    thank you ! i pulled radio fuse and software loaded right up ..

Aftermarket chime module on these is a huge issue as it splices into the network.

Anytime I see an aftermarket head unit, the first thing I do is pull the radio fuse under hood.

Glad you got it going!
    '17 Whipple'd S550
    Too many other projects to list.....see my YouTube channel for more: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCr7...-XfDG53sCh6tcw

Final update ! Not sure how to close ...

Quote Originally Posted by bigjohnjed View Post
    Ordered and received new tools, registered new tools. ensure credits were available. A fear I had! plugged into vehicle and data logging started no issue. drove over to professional hotrodder, a friend and he showed me how easy it was saving base tune and creating a new tune IE made one change to torque management. very easy until < during write operation begins stops at around 4% and times out message occurs. the vehicle will not start now. reloaded base tune and process begins and then again times out. we are always able to read and begin writing the farthest it got was when I tuned radio off went to 16% but the radio rebooted, and dinger occurred and then time out message. My fault I didn't bring laptop charger, so before It lost power we unplugged shut down and reconnected and was able to begin the download and it timed out again. I'm thinking radio is the issue an aftermarket unit with connection to BCM via adapter module. In the am, I will either pull the fuse or radio install factory and reattempt. any thoughts
    So after almost bricking on my first attempt! But by luck Pulling my Radio fuse and Radio amp fuse. The software finally loaded, I have made several changes! Saved every file before writing, Always pull radio fuse > as a safety precaution is my recommendation! Thank you all for your assistance.

Tuner in Training
    Had the same issue with my 04 2500HD, would get to 20% and hold, chime and then the time would jump up to 48hrs and fail and then I could not start the truck. Luckily i had a bench harness and was able to write and get moving again. I am going to try pulling the radio fuse and see what happens, as i would like to be able to tune the truck in a few minutes, rather than a 30 minute process every time. Glad i came across this post!
    Last edited by ohsquigglyinmyeye; 09-24-2020 at 01:04 PM.