Thread: P59 Shift with convertor locked tab

Tuner in Training

P59 Shift with convertor locked tab

It's been a couple years since I have looked for this, but could have sworn there was an option to check if you wanted the computer to always disengage the convertor to shift gears or not. My 2005 Silverado 6.0 4L80E has 3rd gear lockup from the factory and after the first shift kit, it would engage 4th before the convertor could release, then unlock and re-lock every time it went into fourth gear. Super annoying and therefore I changed the tune to leave it locked during the shift. Now I can't seem to find it in the tune anywhere. Thoughts? MyChevy2525MAP,ChadTrans.hpt

Its in the TRANS tab then Torque Converter tab then General tab

Tuner in Training
    That's right where I'd expect to find it, under trans, then convertor. Trans, then General only shows options for what trans is in the vehicle. 4L60, 4L80, standard, etc. The Torque convertor tab has TCC Duty Cycle, apply/release speed, and Minimum throttle release. It's not there, lol. Reason for this thread. Maybe I need to email Bill, see if they've changed something.

But it's right there in your file where it should be. What version VCM Suite are you on?

Attached Images Attached Images

Tuner in Training
    I'm on Suite 4.0.12 and have been for (obviously) quite some time. I didn't think I could lose functions that I had before if I simply left it alone and continued to use it?? I believe I first licensed the truck in 2012, and did so partially because the EFI Live I had been using didn't stay locked as commanded where HP did. When I open the Torque Convertor tab, there is no "general", only the apply and release tables.

I haven't updated due to all the new restrictions on emissions defeat devices and wasn't sure if any of that would affect me. I assumed I could leave it as is and continue to use it on my old truck and older ecm's.

Well that screenshot is from the tune file you posted, using 4.4.2, and it's set to 'Enabled'. If it's unlocking during shifts I don't see how it can be related to whatever is causing your Editor to not show that entire tab. That file flashed to a PCM should keep the TCC locked during shifts. If it's not you have a transmission internal problem.

Tuner in Training
    It does stay locked during shifts, as it always has since I started tuning with HPTuners. I have a different trans in the truck that will go in another project vehicle soon, and the shift kit deletes the accumulation for third and fourth, where mine does not. (I built the trans) Therefore lockup during third is great but then shifting into fourth, locked, is brutal. I had intended to command lockup in third and try some "longer time" settings for completing the 3-4 shift to see if the lockup will release early enough to allow the shift to happen after lockup is released, and then reapply. But when trying to do so, I couldn't find the tab. I've read both good and bad about updating my MPVI pro to the latest 4.4.4, and have other projects to tune that will be emissions deleted. So I've simply never updated, assuming everything I'm using will stay the same.
    Last edited by Goinbyyabig; 01-27-2020 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Grammar, originally posted from phone

Keep the Shift Lock to reduce converter wear, increase Shift TM on the 3-4 a bunch, leave the Shift Time as-is? You get a softer shift without a burning anything to death by dragging out the shift, it just backs timing down to whatever you command and then ramps it back in seamlessly after the shift is complete.

You can install a newer version of VCM Suite without overwriting your older version, just change the directory during install. You could also install the latest beta version, beta will co-exist with an older non-beta install without disturbing anything.

Tuner in Training
    That's an interesting tactic. I looked at the tune and see no TM in Normal, only in Performance, and never on the 3-4 shift. I've always wanted to try locking the convertor in second and then stretching the shift speed later to compensate, therefore dumping the loose convertor feel. This may be possible with your idea.

I'm not sure I follow your suggestion on installing the latest version "in another directory". I would save the file somewhere other than the suggested location and run it afterword, therefore being able to reinstall the older version with the older download? If you could expand on this I would appreciate it.

Where you save the download is irrelevant. During install, it asks you where you want it. Change from the default to something like C:\Temp\HP Tuners and it will leave your previous VCM Suite intact and unaltered. Uninstalling either one in the future won't affect the other.

screenshot.27-01-2020 08.09.26.png

You can make the Trans TM pull timing only at light throttle and none at WOT, if that's what you're after. You would need to log Delivered Torque at various driving conditions to see where and how quickly to taper it down to zero but it would look something like this:

screenshot.27-01-2020 08.29.34.png

Refer to 'Retard vs % Torque Reduction' & 'Engine Torque Loss % due to Spark Retard' in Engine > Torque Management to see how much spark and torque will drop with the numbers you put in the Trans table.

Tuner in Training
    Please forgive my ignorance on this, but... If I install the latest file in this manner, will I then have another, second version of HP on my laptop to use for editing? While keeping my older version intact, it seems?

And I see where you're headed with the trans tuning. I'll work with it and report back. Thanks for all your help!!

Correct. If you don't change the default install-to directory it will overwrite the existing version. Install to a different location and they co-exist. I figured you would want to see if the missing converter tab would reappear in a newer version, without committing to the new one?

Also what you can do, is just always install each new version to its own folder - just tack on the version number to the install directory:
    C:\Program Files (x86)\HP Tuners\VCM Suite 4.4.4
    The version number is shown on the first screen when you launch the installer. Once you know the new one is good to go, uninstall the old one. They will be listed separately, with their version numbers, in the Add/Remove Programs thing (or whatever it's called in whatever Win version you have).

Oh, and the Beta versions by default install to their own directory so the standard version isn't affected.

Tuner in Training
    So...I downloaded 4.4.4 and installed it, changing the C:\Program Files etc by adding the 4.4.4 to the end and it still overwrote the old version. I do, now, have the same torque convertor screens that you have, shown above. Seems I would have to license and attempt to delete emissions DTC's from another pcm to see if I can still do it when installing in an older vehicle, as I could before. Or, maybe attempt to write my stock file the same way and save it, which I have and could do.

Edit: I just tried it and at least on these older ecu's, the removal of the dtc's is unchanged. Maybe the complaints I've read were related to newer pcm's? I'm not sure.
    Last edited by Goinbyyabig; 01-28-2020 at 07:29 AM.

The old version of VCM Suite is still there, if the new one really did install to where you told it to. It may have updated/replaced your desktop shortcuts, but there should still be both copies on the hard drive.

Never mind. I just tried it and the bastards are not using the standards used for Windows programs since the beginning of time. They force the new version to replace an existing version. It even deletes and replaces the entire folder structure, even when the old one is installed to a non-default folder name.

Tuner in Training
    Yes, I had the older versions saved and the installer refuses to function because it's an older version. Piggyback systems will flourish due to this nonsense, but I understand their position and I'm sure the Fed's are breathing down their backs.

Oh, you can definitely still uninstall and then install an older version. Just keep an archive of each one as they come out.

So far, I have only seen tables/features added with each release, nothing removed/disabled. Maybe that's more affecting the dirty diesel guys (it's not like they aren't asking for it).