Thread: What am I missing?

Tuner in Training

What am I missing?

Just upgraded to 3 bar OS with 1 bar map sensor. I also upgraded to decapped injectors that have been flow tested at 75 pounds per hour. I am trying to tune the VE table but am not getting anywhere. I was able to get the VE table in good shape before the injectors and os update. The only other thing that has changed is i added an IAT sensor in the intake and unplugged maf. Trying to get the VE table sorted out before adding boost. Truck is 03 2500HD 6.0 Auto with 220/224 .575 114LSA cam. Would someone look at my tune and logs to see what I am missing? Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

If you plan to run under 15psi, just use the 2 bar OS. Your VE table will have better resolution than the 3 bar that jumps 20kpa between each.

It'll probably help you if you cut the min fuel milligrams by half because of the size of injectors. And cut the under/overspeed spark correction tables in half too, it may help with the choppy timing spikes at idle.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by 5FDP View Post
    If you plan to run under 15psi, just use the 2 bar OS. Your VE table will have better resolution than the 3 bar that jumps 20kpa between each.

It'll probably help you if you cut the min fuel milligrams by half because of the size of injectors. And cut the under/overspeed spark correction tables in half too, it may help with the choppy timing spikes at idle.
    I have already upgraded the OS. Is there a way I can downgrade without using additional credits? I'll try those suggestions. Thanks!

Upgrading or going back to stock never cost credits in the first place.

You'd just have to write entire back to stock using the stock file you have. Then apply the 2 bar OS if available, then write entire that into the computer. The VE should have way better resolution up to 210kpa.

Then do the little changes for 1 bar map sensor, injector data and whatever else you changed.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    Upgrading or going back to stock never cost credits in the first place.

You'd just have to write entire back to stock using the stock file you have. Then apply the 2 bar OS if available, then write entire that into the computer. The VE should have way better resolution up to 210kpa.

Then do the little changes for 1 bar map sensor, injector data and whatever else you changed.
    Thanks! Does it have to be the completely stock file I write entire back? Or, just a file that was on the one bar OS?

Anything that wasn't an upgraded OS file would work too.

Tuner in Training
    Anything that wasn't an upgraded OS file would work too.
    Great! Thanks man!

Tuner in Training
    I changed to a 2 bar OS. I also halved fuel milligrams. Still cant seem to get anywhere. Also, i noticed that when i command a certain AFR in the special functions in the scanner, the WB does not match. I posted the most recent tune and logs. Any help is greatly appreciated.1-27-20 log.hplStart here dumbass SDOL 2 Bar Injectors 3.hpt

Where is the wideband installed in the exhaust stream??

Were the injectors flowed or did you just remove the caps and slap them in there?

I'm not a fan of decapped because they can vary and the data for the stock injector isn't exactly spot on anymore.

Tuner in Training
    Where is the wideband installed in the exhaust stream??

Were the injectors flowed or did you just remove the caps and slap them in there?

I'm not a fan of decapped because they can vary and the data for the stock injector isn't exactly spot on anymore.
    The WB is just past the stock o2 sensor on the driver's side. Injectors were sent off and flow tested.

Tuner in Training
    Do you have any other suggestions? How do you think the ve table looks so far? I put it back into closed loop and it seemed to idle perfect at 14.7 ish. I didn't drive it yet though.

The VE is rough. The weird hole in the middle doesn't make any sense. It doesn't follow a "normal" VE table at all. Even with a cammed setup or a turbo engine the VE will still somewhat resemble the stock like curve.

I don't know if that is from the injectors, fuel pressure issue or how you've been gathering your data to input back into the editor for changes.

Closed loop will pretty much always be able to idle it back to stoich through fuel trims. If you are logging your o2 sensors and fuel trims it would show you if your previous VE tuning without closed loop/fuel trims is doing you any good. If the trims are still very negative or positive that means something is still wrong.

Tuner in Training
    The VE is rough. The weird hole in the middle doesn't make any sense. It doesn't follow a "normal" VE table at all. Even with a cammed setup or a turbo engine the VE will still somewhat resemble the stock like curve.

I don't know if that is from the injectors, fuel pressure issue or how you've been gathering your data to input back into the editor for changes.

Closed loop will pretty much always be able to idle it back to stoich through fuel trims. If you are logging your o2 sensors and fuel trims it would show you if your previous VE tuning without closed loop/fuel trims is doing you any good. If the trims are still very negative or positive that means something is still wrong.
    I've been gathering data using the afr error histogram and using the copy paste special multiply by half. The hole is really weird. Think I should start with a stock VE table and add 20% and start all over??
    Last edited by [email protected]; 01-27-2020 at 10:58 PM.

Tuner in Training
    I found my problem. It was a stupid mistake. When I upgraded to 2 bar OS, I did not change the row labels in the scanner. So, when I copied and pasted, it pasted the data in the wrong cells. Thanks for your help!
    Last edited by [email protected]; 01-28-2020 at 10:07 PM.

I'd still throw those injectors in the woods...
    Steve Williams
    TunedbyFrost.com