Thread: E85 Cold Weather Shifting

Tuner in Training

E85 Cold Weather Shifting

2006 Covette Z51 with LS2 & M6. Rear mount twin turbo, FIC 80lb (@43.5PSI) injectors with data, 2.5bar OS.

I am having an issues that is driving me nutz! I can not figure this out for the life of me. I have figured out tons of other stuff on my car, but this has me stumped!

This only happens when it is cold outside (less than 50 F) and on E85. This does not happen on regular gas even when it is cold. As soon as the ECT get over around 110 the issues goes away. Unless the car gets colder than 100 ECT again I do not experience the issue. It bugs me 3 times even time I drive it to work. Please help!

When I drive it when shifting gears it fell like you hit the brakes for a second immediately after you shift. It does it in every gear until it gets warm. It does it at every speed until it gets warm. Where I work is right next to the interstate. So I pull out of the parking lot in 2nd. Cruise over to the on ramp in 2nd then 3rd and easy onto the interstate. I will do it in every gear up to 6th and 70 MPH. I don't flog it until it get warm so please not negative comments about spending 15 minutes to let it warm up all the way before driving it.

The car starts perfect no issues. Runs & idles just fine. I can blip the throttle no issues.

The content at my local gas station is rock solid at between 60-65% E. I have checked it dozens of times year round for 2 years now.

Log & tune:
    Cold drive.hpl
    ATR_2006 Vette_TT_2bar_COS_Rev 40.hpt

Tuner in Training
    I have been chasing the timing thinking that maybe the issues. If you look that the timing right after a shift it is almost always ~15deg less than base timing. Like I said I can not figure it out. I can not figure out why the timing is so different than the base when it is cold and only after a shift. You can see in the log I actually have ~ negative 15 ft-lb delivered torque.