Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Using a battery charger WHILE flashing(installing tune)

Advanced Tuner
    Has anyone tried using a portable aux battery, like one used to charge up cell phones, to the cig lighter plug? Assuming the aux bat has a 12v output, which some do. I know you are limited to backfeeding up to the fuse size, but the whole car is not running from this aux bat, only some portion of which the aux battery voltage is higher than the car’s battery.

I have been doing cold starting tuning lately, and unless I have put in my newest cal iteration the day before, I am looking at a reflash with a cold battery and am already compromised with low voltage. It is a pain to drag out an extension cord and battery charger, plug it in for 20 minutes, then disconnect it and put it all away before reflashing to do a new cold start log.

If not focused on cold start logs, I do sometimes start and idle a few minutes before reflashing. But you can’t do that when you want initial cold start data.

Having been programming for decades at a GM dealer. We only have one midtronic. I just have a nice fully charged optima battery with jumper cables as a "charger" hahaha. Have only bricked 4 modules. A BCM and a EBCM and a couple PCM's. All were my fault. That's out of hundreds I have programmed from everything from early tech2's to SPS and now Techline Connect. Don't waste your money on a charger. Get a good gel cell battery and some GOOD cables. I made mine out of welding cables. I always know if those cables don't work nothing will