Thread: MAF or VVE or mixed

MAF or VVE or mixed

I am not a professional tuner. I do it for fun. I can work on my own cars, I've always wanted to tune my own cars. And now I can. Tuned my Gen 3 Vette, Gen 4 G8 and now working on my buddies Gen 5 Silverado. I understand the process and understand how to do it. I've always been curious tho, why can't you run MAF only?? I know technically you can but why bother with VE and VVE altogether? Specifically Gen 5? Pros, Cons? Don't want to sound like a total noob with all the pros on here. Just curious. Thanks in advance for any advice or knowledge.

Senior Tuner
    The OE strategy is to blend the two methods up to 4000 rpm, then use the MAF above that.
    One reason that they do that is that the VVE is utilized for transient fueling on the Gen 5 engines. Transient fueling is important at lower engine speeds.
    For that reason, it's best to get the VVE dialed in for these applications.

The more wild the setup, the more important the VVE and torque tables get too.

Super simple things like cat-back exhaust or air intakes that retain factory sizing doesn't really require a ton of changes but getting into camshaft swap and bigger power adders is where this stuff is wanted.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    I run MAF only on my modded ZL1 with no problems. Makes tuning easier.

I’ve done both.. always rough in the VVE regardless though

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

The VE is pretty good. +2 to -2 up to 3000. That's where I have MAF come into play. Thanks for the help.

Dialing in VVE is step 1 toward getting the torque model right. So if you want the throttle control to work correctly, I strongly recommend calibrating the VVE. (I also prefer to keep the MAF working as well.) You will not get the torque model right if VVE is too far off.

Thank you