Thread: 411 PCM and Boost controlling

Tuner in Training

411 PCM and Boost Solenoid C.A.G.S.

0411 PCM - LS1 Year:2000 T56

I am exploring ways to use a single stage boost control with a waste gate fitted car. I have not found much on the interweb regarding the 411pcm, without resorting to aftermarket controllers. There are sure to be a few experts here that will know if the CAGS solenoid output will work. Thank you in advance!

Using the CAGS settings for VSS enable/disable of a boost solenoid on a manual car.

Assuming the cars Cags lockout solenoid has been removed and MIL light set to off. I am not sure exactly how the CAGS routine operates behind these settings and if this would even work. For example, issues with shifting down from 4-3.... or 3-2 and back up again.

M6 C.A.G.S. (Computer Aided Gear Selection aka Skip Shift)
    The parameters control the Computer Aided Gear Selection (CAGS or ?Skip Shift?) feature of the VCM. It activates a solenoid in the transmission to force shifting to 4th gear under light throttle conditions. If disable TPS is exceeded then the solenoid will not activate.

Disable %TPS: Throttle Position to disable C.A.G.S. routine
    Enable Speed: Speed to enable C.A.G.S. routine
    Disable Speed: Speed to disable C.A.G.S. routine
    Enable Baro: Baro to enable C.A.G.S. routine
    Disable Baro: Baro to disable C.A.G.S. routine
    Min Coolant Temp: Minimum Engine Coolant Temp required for C.A.G.S. routine

- CURIOUS
    Last edited by Boosted53f; 01-28-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Tuner in Training
    CAGS check: Settings like this to run a 3 port mac sensor

Disable TPS: 100%___ pcm will never see above this? allowing solenoid to operate with following conditions
    Min Coolant: 178*___ no high boost under this etc
    Enable Speed: 70mph___ or whatever is the beginning of 3rd gear according to gearing calc
    Disable Speed: 250mph
    Enable Baro: 104kpa___ max is 105kpa
    Disable Baro: 100kpa___ this may help reduce torque load during shift?

I know the shift light can be enabled to check this, but I am dieing to know if anyone has tried this. Set shift light to ON and see if it stays triggered above 70mph?

I'm trying to figure out what you are doing.
    Does the computer output a PWM? OR are you commanding a static PWM to a solenoid and using the cags to turn it "on" and "off"?

How is the(any) PWM driver handling the load of the solenoid?

IMO just get a quality electronic controller. If you are ambitious you can build one from an arduino for around $50~ But they can be purchased for $100-$200 most places.

Because consider this. The HPtuners ECU has no fail safes. It has no fall back plan for overboost, no way to fuel cut for bad situations.
    I have a feeling if you rely on the HPtuners ecu for boost control it will eventually fail in an unexpected way, it wasn't meant to do this job, it might be intermittent or something. I just got a bad feeling about relying on the stock computer for anything other than fuelspark.

Tuner in Training
    I completely understand your concern. Additionally, analog readings from a tps and using a table where i am hoping ?up to and including 100%tps? for one of the ranges.

Just to clarify- i am only contemplating a SINGLE stage boost setting using the gm 411 ecm. I have not found anything yet in regards to others success in using the 411 for a vss fire to scramble boost.

*Electric solenoid controlling 2 settings on a wastegated car. Low setting is the minimum spring rate on the gate and high setting will be fired by CAGS at a certain vss/mph to scramble boost with a manual controller inline.

The CAGS circuit, from what i understand, is also the TCC or 2-3 shift solenoid on the auto cars. If thats the case, i believe it is a simple on-off and can be verified using the 1-4 skip shift light on the dash.

I am in a different state, and the car is in storage right now.... i would love to know if this works.
    Last edited by Boosted53f; 01-28-2020 at 08:53 PM.

Potential Tuner
    Can you explain what you mean by "single stage boost control"?

The implication is that you want reduced setting at lower speed i.e. boost per gear or boost per speed.

This is available widely, not expensive, and far superior to whatever crippled twin setting you can come up with

Tuner in Training
    From what i have seen, controllers with a vss input are NOT inexpensive

Anyways, i would like to know more about the CAGS trigger. From what i remember, the cags routine was reliable and annoying. If this is a simple on-off with control over it using vss, i would not call that a ?crippled setup.? Have you seen the sorts of buttons people put in there cars these days?

Also, there is a dash light that could indicate when you have triggered high boost.