Thread: Tuning with a portable wb02 set up or not

Potential Tuner

Tuning with a portable wb02 set up or not

Hello all.
    Hope this is a good place for this question.

When putting together a tuning set up for different vehicles how reliable is using a clamp on 02 sensor that goes in the tailpipe vs removing an existing one to replace it with my wb02 for tuning?

I am in the purchasing phase and want to get the correct setup in the beginning of possible.

Thank you
    Matt

Tuner
    A sensor in the tailpipe is going to have two drawbacks. First is lag... it takes time for the gases to travel from the front to the back of the exhaust system. That will make it harder to correlate what's going on in the engine to the sensor reading when looking at logs. Second, in between exhaust pulses, fresh air can be drawn into the tailpipe and cause incorrect readings.

Bottom line in my opinion: put the sensor close to the engine if at all possible. The tailpipe location is probably better than nothing, but is definitely not as good.

Pre-Cat when ever possible.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Stock 5.7L, Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1, 3.25" Pulley, 450-HP 459-TQ.
    Corsa Sport CatBack, 3.06:1 Wavetrac, Dual Fans, 1-7/16 Radiator, Mopar Oil Cooler
    2005 Radix'd Silverado L33 5.3 ECSB Z71 @ 387-HP 395-TQ

Potential Tuner
    Awesome...
    Thank you

Tuner
    Yeah I didn't even think of that aspect. Having a cat between the engine and the sensor will make the readings nearly useless.

Some tuners are arguing it can be done and are doing so, I have read threads on it. It's a debate.
    My 13 Charger is not just a matter of lifting the car and putting a wideband in for tuning. It's not layed out like that.
    I am having a muffler shop pull out my down pipe and install a bung, we will then add the AEM ODB interface wide band and bolt her back up.
    My tuner will only need to use the AEM pass ODB through at my port.
    All the above to avoid post cat tuning.
    2013 Dodge Charger R/T Plus, Stock 5.7L, Edelbrock E-Force Stage 1, 3.25" Pulley, 450-HP 459-TQ.
    Corsa Sport CatBack, 3.06:1 Wavetrac, Dual Fans, 1-7/16 Radiator, Mopar Oil Cooler
    2005 Radix'd Silverado L33 5.3 ECSB Z71 @ 387-HP 395-TQ