Thread: Newbie - VCM Editor - Download looks wrong. No MIL Light after throwing any codes.

Potential Tuner

Newbie - VCM Editor - Download looks wrong. No MIL Light after throwing any codes.

Hi Guys,
    '99 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP 3800SC Engine sitting in a '96 Pontiac Sunfire. Project was built in 2005. No issues prior. Had PCM flashed offsite once after install to clean up error codes and more performance. Been running fine. Can READ and CLEAR error codes with hand reader.

Used the HPTuner VCM Editor to download original firmware from PCM to change fan setup. SAVED as ORIGINAL !!! Sat on the file for a couple of days.
    After watching videos on YouTube on how to change Fan setup, I did it. Saved new file as such.
    Uploaded the new firmware to the PCM, and it worked.

After driving it for a Day (rather hard), I noticed the Check Engine Light wasn't coming on (usually P0300 because I hit the Rev-limiter to many times). Plugged reader in, and I had P0300 and P0138. No Check Engine Light.
    Cleared codes. Unplugged TPS, got a code but no MIL Light. Showed MIL OFF on the reader. Before it would show MIL ON. Then I realized I hadn't got any MIL lights for about a week (Prior to the Upload).
    Got with my son who programs with HPTuners a lot and started looking at the settings. The MIL or SES settings weren't even close according to him.

Check Engine Light comes on a Key On and goes out after startup, so I know the PCM is sending a signal to it.

Fearful of driving it blind.

Any Ideas ?

I have used this Tuner on my 2009 Pontiac G6 with no issues....

Potential Tuner
    Update - Confirmed wiring is correct and good continuity from the PCM to the Datalink Port. Grounds and +12 volts good too.

Post the tune in the car.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    5FDP - Will do when I get home tonight.

Potential Tuner
    Here you go...
    Attached Files Attached Files

You could try switching the code to MIL on first error instead of MIL on second error. See if that makes the light come on.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Potential Tuner
    I tried that. Didn't work. Re-loaded ORIGINAL file last night. No change. No getting KR reading when I scan either. Everything else seems to work.
    Normally I could unplug the TPS and the MIL light would come on immediately. That was my test after pulling engine and re-installing it.

Potential Tuner
    Anymore help here ? Please...
    MIL light still doesn't come on when I get a DTC...
    Don't want to drive the car blind basically...

If the tune is setup to display the DTC code, there is nothing more you can do with this part. To me it has to be a cluster issue.

Do you have a scan tool that can actuate the MIL from BOTH the PCM and BCM/ICP? This will also help pin down that it works and can be controlled through those modules. Just a test, but info that determines the most likely cause area. Not sure if HP tuners will do these things.
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Potential Tuner
    Is there any other place in the HP Tuner file that I can look at to see if the MIL Light is set to stay off regardless of what's in the DTC's ?