Thread: 2011 5.3 to 6.0 swap tip in knock

Tuner in Training

2011 5.3 to 6.0 swap tip in knock

I swapped a 2011 chevy 6.0 L96 VVT FLEX in to my 2011 GMC 1500, I didn't get the L96 ecm. I cant find one in the repository, closest I found was a 2010 L96 VVT FLEX. im getting knock at tip in and my fuel mileage blows, yes I know 6.0 isn't for mileage. hopefully my tune file and latest log file load, take a look give me any insite you've got. Im open for any suggestions
    Attached Files Attached Files

It's lean, look at the fuel trims. They are at +20 all the time so the computer is having to constantly add in more fuel to make it happy.

2011's used a newer E78 computer, so using a 2010 file is the better idea because that is still a E38 computer. You just need to make sure that some of the data is still correct. Like if the injector information from the 2010 file matches that of the injectors you are using.

Did you copy over the MAF curve and VVE tables for fueling??
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    the truck ran on the 5.3 tune for a week or so until I bought HPT, so I took everything from the 2010 file off the repository

Double check you have no exhaust leaks or intake vacuum leaks.

The main issue is the trims, being that positive is the reason for poor fuel mileage and a possible knock issue as those trims are being carried over into power enrichment.

If you find none, a simple test would be to add 3-5% worth of fuel to the entire MAF curve and the VVE (virtual VE) tables. Then reset the fuel trims and see if the fuel trims get better. If they come down from +20, then it's going in the right direction. Ideally past that point, it's tough to keep guessing at how much in changes in still needs without a wideband o2 sensor in the exhaust.

Where in MN are you?

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Tuner in Training
    My brother also replaced his wore out 5.3 with a 6.0,at the same time. He got the PCM with his motor tho, all I did with HPT was swap everything over from one to another and some TM changes. Is it possible to have the dealer use the vin from the Suburban and flash the stock file onto my ECM?

Tuner in Training
    Just south of Mankato

Tuner in Training
    I Did check for leaks about a week ago didn't find anything sprayed everything no changes

No, they couldn't flash a suburban VIN into your truck. The heavy duty surburban also runs a 6L90e transmission and I see few differences between PCM/TCM and you'd likely see problems with other background stuff because they are different vehiclces. BCM related items.

You did kinda what you had to do. There is no way to put the 2011 6.0 computer into your truck if it was a E78 controller, it's all different.

I went through and took a 2010 2500 file and applied just the engine side changes to a 2011 file I had so I can mimmick what you are doing. I then saved that file and compared it to your file. Almost all the stuff on the engine side is the same except for a few changes you must have done afterwards but the big thing I see if that the VE Coefficients are not the same. Quite possible that when you copied the data over that this did not move over. The VE (VVE) stuff could be making it run lean.

Tuner in Training
    I feel like ive tried to change some of the VVE Stuff and the truck wont start after the write

Tuner in Training
    well I managed to get the VVE loaded on the truck, logged some was still lean. I stuffed 5% at it made a little difference, just went another 5% gonna log and see what happens. hopefully get a windband pretty soon.

Tuner in Training
    STFT look good the LTFT look better in the positive 8-10 range, compared to positive 15-19. still getting knock retard if I quick burp the throttle while driving

To be honest, it's normal.

Knock is basically built into the calibration so seeing it on tip in or during WOT with stock settings is not something that is uncommon. Also running 87 octane will show more of it.

You can try to alter the ignition timing, power enrichment settings and the knock sensor settings themselves to see if the knock goes away. Burst knock is very common as well, I disable that all the time.

Tuner in Training
    sounds good thanks for the heads up and info!

Tuner in Training
    did you make progress on this? I have basically the exact same issue.

https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...o-2009-GMC1500

Potential Tuner
    where is he repository I can't seem to find in on here