Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H&S to HP Tuner Migration

Tuner

H&S to HP Tuner Migration

I have a old H&S Mini-Maxx installed on my 2008 Ram 6.7L now. I just purchased my HP Tuners MVPI2 Pro. Has anyone migrated from an H&S Tuner to a HP Tuner? Do I need to flash my H&S back to stock, then read it with the HP Tuner to modify it or should I be able to read the H&S tune I am running with the HP Tuner? I don't want to mess up the license with my HP Tuner. Every thing I have read shows I should be able to read my existing tune and apply the license to my truck when I connect and try to write an edited tune.

FYI, my truck is not stock. I am running an 2nd gen swap turbo and all deletes. The injectors and CP3 are still stock for now, but I have a aftermarket lift pump and sump. Grid heater is gone. Fuel rail is plugged.

Any advice on how to migrate with the least headache would be appreciated.

Thanks
    -Dieseldude
    2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 - 2nd Gen Swap S467.7/83/1.0, No Grid Heater, Banks Intake, BD Flowmax LP, G56 w/SB Clutch.

Tuner
    Hp tuners does not support deletes... But if you find a work around for that.. I would flash the truck to stock first to make sure you have a clean base to start from

If you want to tune your 08 get Efi-Live.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Dom_c13b View Post
    If you want to tune your 08 get Efi-Live.
    I know of a few guys that are using HP Tuners for their 6.7L Cummins successfully. Unfortunately, they are not the sharing type. I bought HP Tuners because I can tune my truck and Charger from the same platform. I will post as I figure it out.

Thanks
    -Dieseldude
    2008 Dodge Cummins 6.7 - 2nd Gen Swap S467.7/83/1.0, No Grid Heater, Banks Intake, BD Flowmax LP, G56 w/SB Clutch.

Tuner
    HP Tuners do support deletes. There are posts on this forum about it. I know what needs to be done on the HP Tuners side, I just wanted to know the best route for switching platforms. I think you are correct regarding flashing it to stock first. I am going to try to read the existing tune I have in it first and do some logging so I have something to reference once I move to the HP Tuners tune.

Thanks
    -Dieseldude

Banned
    Yes deleted can be done through HP Tuners and there is lots of reasons as to why the specifics on how to do it aren?t shared. EFI Live has everything needed to do it for the 07.5-09 with a few clicks of the mouse.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    Yes deleted can be done through HP Tuners and there is lots of reasons as to why the specifics on how to do it aren?t shared. EFI Live has everything needed to do it for the 07.5-09 with a few clicks of the mouse.
    Oh right on! I have turned away a few people because I thought it wasnt possible... I guess its time to do some digging

Banned
    It?s easier on an 07.5-09 to just do it with EFILive, literally everything you need is right there for those years. No spending hundreds of hours smashing your face against a wall trying to figure anything out.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim P View Post
    It?s easier on an 07.5-09 to just do it with EFILive, literally everything you need is right there for those years. No spending hundreds of hours smashing your face against a wall trying to figure anything out.
    Lmao this is so true

Tuner
    I am a glutton for punishment For me, I chose HP Tuners because I have my Ram Diesel and Charger that I am tuning. The HP Tuners platform allows me to do both with just the added license credits. I don't have to buy two different platforms. If I have to be the development guinea pig for delete tuning on the 6.7, then so be it. I will figure it out. HP Tuners is updating their features all the time, so I would assume the ease of tuning will only get better.

Any HP Tuners advice for what I am trying to archive would be greatly appreciated. I hate learning the hard way, but will if I have to.

Thanks for the input everyone!
    -Dieseldude

Banned
    HP Tuners will give you nothing on how to use their platform to delete the emissions on your truck nor will they add any parameters to do so. Your options are, get someone to do it for you that knows how to do it on HP Tuners, find someone that?s willing to give up there hundreds of hours of work for free (unlikely) or at a cost (again unlikely) or google like mofo to only scratch the surface of how to do it, or get EFILive which has everything visible for your model year. Many different paths to choose from on it ranging from easy to gouge your eyeballs out painful.

I thought the latest version of V7 does not have the emissions parameters available? Also, it does not take hundreds of hours to figure it out.
    2019 CCSB Bighorn - Excited HP Tuners finally supported Cummins CM2350&2450 platforms

Banned
    EFILive does in fact have the parameters to shut off emissions on the 07.5-09. Anyone, absolutely anyone can download the software and a stock tune file and see for themselves. Time is relative to what one has, their knowledge and understanding to get all the systems properly shut off and working completely error free, no sims to ?fool? the system.

That is good to know. And true, time is definitely relative, and would depend on knowledge/skill.
    2019 CCSB Bighorn - Excited HP Tuners finally supported Cummins CM2350&2450 platforms

Banned
    As an individual who only cares about their own vehicle the time is shorter to get it all figured out as long as the proper files are had and the individual understands what to do but when you start talking someone who tunes on a larger scale and is having to map everything out for each year and build all the necessary files, it takes a long time and things are not the same from an 07.5-09 to a 2010-2012 to a 2013+. A lot of work goes into it and money goes into.

Tuner
    Just an FYI update. I did have to set my truck back to stock with my H&S before reading the ECU with my HP Tuner. I was hoping for a short cut, but not so much. However, I do have all of my performance tune information in the MCC software from H&S (did the tune export before going back to stock). I will just have to build out my tune manually in HP Tuners from the data I have in my MCC file. I hope to have the rig up and running on the HP Tuners tune tomorrow.

If someone is interested I can post the stock tune file from my 2008 6.7 with a G56 trans.

I might inquire for some help tweaking some stuff once I get it running.

-Dieseldude

P.S. I did verify the VIN was correct after returning to stock using the "gather info" as posted in the sticky.

Tuner
    It's alive! I got my new tune configured and installed from my HP Tuner. Truck fired up fine and is purring so far. No codes or lights. Everything seems to be good so far. Now I need to get some time to make some runs up and down the road so I can log some data to start optimizing performance. So far the biggest challenge has been learning the terminology between the MCC and HP Tuners VCM Editor. Unfortunately it is snowing pretty hard and the temps are supposed to drop to -7F tonight. Tomorrow is not looking great for testing. I will probably have to wait to the weekend.

-Dieseldude

Potential Tuner
    I'm running the same set up on a street 2008 6.7 with G56. Plus I haul a 33' rv with it .

Potential Tuner
    I tried to put it back to stock, then use HP tuner to do all of the deletes. But that didn't work out, truck started to act up. So I put the H&S back on. I can't screw around to much since it is a daily driver.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Jo22Ram View Post
    I tried to put it back to stock, then use HP tuner to do all of the deletes. But that didn't work out, truck started to act up. So I put the H&S back on. I can't screw around to much since it is a daily driver.
    If you are planning to attempt it again, let me know if you need some help. I am still learning, but will do my best. My rig is running pretty good right now.

Keep the tire side down
    -Dieseldude