Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: step by step turbo hemi tuning let learn and share

step by step turbo hemi tuning let learn and share

Im looking to start a thread form start to finish turbo set up and tuning

ok my set up is a 5.7 hemi

2 degree colder plugs

2 bar srt4 MAP

8 SRT4 injectors

walbro 450 mounted in stock basket with a return running threw a boost referenced regulator I used a one fuel rail from a car and one from a durango so there was a feed on each side one side i used for a return the other for feed

holset turbo (soon to be changed to chinesse with a better match A/F) under car mount turbowerxs oil pump to return the oil to a bung in the oil pan feed supplied by a tee in the oil sending unit

step 1 2 bar SRT4 map sensor when you open editor you will need to go to edit tab scroll down to view and select advanced seems simple but if you dont know you dont know. there is no advanced OS for mopar as far as i know. select the yellow engine diagnostic symbol under the air flow tab change max map to 200 kpa (29psi)depending on how much boost you plan to run 100 kpa is 1 bar used for vacuum when your engine is running normally aspirated the other 100 kpa is for when your in boost coming out of vacuum.

so my map when the engine is off key is on reads 87 kpa. Idle (vacumm) reads 30 kpa. all the way to up to 5 psi boost which reads 137 kpa where my waste gate is currently set to open

next I went under the white engine symbol in editor open airflow then general tab to set up the MAP sensor calibration the map is a 0 to 5 volt signal 5 volts being the max boost you want the map to read/tune for .1 volt = 50 kpa linear wth an offset of 4 kpa 4X50 = 200 kpa

Xstep 1 2 bar SRT4 map sensor when you open editor you will need to go to edit tab scroll down to view and select advanced seems simple but if you dont know you dont know. there is no advanced OS for mopar as far as i know. select the yellow engine diagnostic symbol under the air flow tab change max map to 200 kpa (29psi)depending on how much boost you plan to run 100 kpa is 1 bar used for vacuum when your engine is running normally aspirated the other 100 kpa is for when your in boost coming out of vacuum.

so my map when the engine is off key is on reads 87 kpa. Idle (vacumm) reads 30 kpa. all the way to up to 5 psi boost which reads 137 kpa where my waste gate is currently set to open

next I went under the white engine symbol in editor open airflow then general tab to set up the MAP sensor calibration the map is a 0 to 5 volt signal 5 volts being the max boost you want the map to read/tune for .1 volt = 50 kpa linear wth an offset of 4 kpa 4X50 = 200 kpa

Advanced Tuner
    subd

Senior Tuner
    There isn't really a step by step template approach to it. I will say something I have found makes a big difference with turbo tubing is fueling at part throttle. It makes a difference with blower too but with responsiveness of turbos it's big.

There are many approaches you can take to improve how it acts part throttle and even spooling full throttle... One big hint is a TPS breakpoint to switch to full Enrichment is not the best way but it's what I see in nearly everyone's tunes.

care to explain tps breakpoint as you see it and where and how to change it?

Advanced Tuner
    What part number is your map sensor?

05033224ab map from srt4

Quote Originally Posted by ridenrunwv View Post
    There isn't really a step by step template approach to it. I will say something I have found makes a big difference with turbo tubing is fueling at part throttle. It makes a difference with blower too but with responsiveness of turbos it's big.

There are many approaches you can take to improve how it acts part throttle and even spooling full throttle... One big hint is a TPS breakpoint to switch to full Enrichment is not the best way but it's what I see in nearly everyone's tunes.
    just trying to learn

Advanced Tuner
    Look at these threads and also google that map sensor part number for scaling:

https://forum.hptuners.com/search.php?searchid=4944099

Google is going to be your biggest help.

You're going to want to create a "base map" - which means you will create a file that has all of the known changes based on your new hardware.

The file you posted above does not appear to be scaled properly for that map sensor. Getting the map sensor and injectors properly scaled would be step 1. There are a few tables for both items.

Next would be adjusting the table breakpoints for the higher manifold pressures and "squashing down" the ignition timing into the rows for off-boost. Then start going the opposite direction taking away timing as you go into positive manifold pressure. Too little is a lot better than too much here.

Once you have that, then it's a matter of setting up a graph and filling it with fuel trim data to use when correcting the VE and ignition tables.
    If in doubt, multiply everything by 1.1.

Tuner in Training
    What's srt4 injector flow? I think those are not bigger than 46-49lbs/hr stock... how big are the 5.7 injectors?

I'm used to tune Mitsubishis and Subarus and feel like those injectors won't feed your engine like it should... I might be wrong... I don't like to have it past 80% DC...

Advanced Tuner
    @spoolboy your link does not work.

Info on SRT4 map specs.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-NEEDED-PLEASE!

Info on how to set-up injectors.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-Injector-Data

Some other links that might help you on your tuning quest.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post525502

the stock injectors for the 5.7 hemi are siemens deka part number 53032713AB flow 27lbs per hour @ 43.5 psi
    the stock SRT4 injectors for the 2.4 are siemens deka part number 4891574AB flow 48lbs per hour @ 43.5 psi

part number for the str4 2 bar map sensor is 05033224ab

For the 2 bar SRT4 Map sensor try the following:

Under Engine -> Airflow -> General

MAP Sensor Linear - 46.38 kPa
    MAP Sensor Offset - 4.80 kPa

PRatio Max - 2.000
    PRatio Max Turbo - 2.000

Disable Baro Fine Tune and Learning
    Enable Sensed MAP

Under Engine Diagnostics -> Airflow

Max Tip Baro - 20.0 kPa
    Max Tip MAP - 20.0 kPa
    Baro Voltage Min 0.12 V

Quote Originally Posted by Homer View Post
    @spoolboy your link does not work.

Info on SRT4 map specs.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-NEEDED-PLEASE!

Info on how to set-up injectors.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...-Injector-Data

Some other links that might help you on your tuning quest.
    https://forum.hptuners.com/showthrea...l=1#post525502
    THANK YOU spoolboy those links have some out standing info ill keep everyone posted on my progress maybe this can become the go to thread for turbo hemi's

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by redyns333 View Post
    THANK YOU spoolboy those links have some out standing info ill keep everyone posted on my progress maybe this can become the go to thread for turbo hemi's
    You're welcome. The last link is my post that I toss new and informative threads that I find helpful.

Advanced Tuner
    Homer,

Thanks for catching that. It worked for me when I posted it, but it surely does not work now. Your links are basically the same thing I was sharing.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by redyns333 View Post
    Well, that was Homer, but thanks anyway.

fwiw.. the stock srt4 map is 2.25 BAR, stage 3 (or caliber srt4) is 3bar

thanks everyone that contributes i set my map up and I am wondering what graphs i have to change the axes to reflect 2.25 bar the under spark WOT base i changed the axes scale to read 50 to 220 kpa