Thread: 2017 l83 swap drivers side bank dead

Tuner in Training

2017 l83 swap drivers side bank dead

I have a friend who swapped a 17 l83 and 8l90e into a square body truck using a PSI harness. On initial startup it was missing pretty badly, and had a bunch of codes, mostly just things that were new to the gen v swaps. I cleared the codes and it ran nice and smooth, took throttle well and everything. we let it idle a for a while then shut it off since it had no exhaust and only one O2 sensor plugged in.

A bit later we started it again to take a video and it was missing like crazy again, this time though when I cleared the codes it would clear up for a couple of seconds and then go back to missing again. We decided to wait to do any diag until we got the exhaist buttoned up and I could find all the new codes I needed to turn off.

We got back at it today and it has a couple of codes that I disabled that are still showing as "permanent" I assum these will likely go away after a hand full of key cycles.

P018C- Fuel pressure sensor B circuit low
    P0073- Ambient air temp sensor circuit High

The two only codes that it is throwing now are P10E1 which I can't find anything at all about online. Litterally the only mention on a google search is related to a BMW valvetronic system. The other code is P135A - Ignition Coil voltage supply circuit 1. After pulling each coil to see what cylinder is not firing we found that the entire drivers side bank is dead. The coils are firing, despite the code that seems to sugest otherwise. We pulled the intake, and all the injectors have 5.3V on one wire, but the drivers bank isn't getting a signal pulse from the ecm on the other wire. What little I can find about the P135a code seems to suggest it is the reason the ECm isn't firing that bank, but I can't find any clues as to what causes the code itself.

Fuel pressure from the high pressure pump is a good an steady very close to commanded on the scanner.

Tuner in Training
    Ok, a little diag today since the weather has cleared. Have full battery voltage in all 8 coils, that is between the hot wire and the ground wire at the coil connector.
    We decided to try an experiment. I set code p135a to no error reported and the damn thing runs like a top. Great power, everything.

I can?t really leave it like this, but I?m at a complete loss as to what?s causing that code to set.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by wildkard View Post
    Ok, a little diag today since the weather has cleared. Have full battery voltage in all 8 coils, that is between the hot wire and the ground wire at the coil connector.
    We decided to try an experiment. I set code p135a to no error reported and the damn thing runs like a top. Great power, everything.

I can?t really leave it like this, but I?m at a complete loss as to what?s causing that code to set.
    Did you ever figure out what is causing this? Only code I'm pulling on my 2016 L83 / 6L80 swap is this.

Advanced Tuner
    In for updates as well. I have a customer that just brought in a 87 Square body with a L83 and 6L80e that's throwing the same codes and running on passenger bank only.

Potential Tuner
    Did you get a fix for the issue?