Thread: Flex Fuel Sensor Issue

Potential Tuner

Flex Fuel Sensor Issue

I have a 2015 Camaro SS that has a flex fuel sensor installed. While doing my most recent data log I noticed I was suddenly pulling a lot of fuel on my STFT and LTFT. I log my alcohol % all the time and I noticed when I started the log I had 9.4% alcohol at one point I had 100% alcohol and my alcohol % reading anywhere in between. I?ve only had pump 93 in the tank for the last several fill ups and haven?t gotten gas from anywhere I haven?t gotten gas from before. I stopped and turned the sensor off in HPT. After that it read 0% as expected and the fuel trims returned to normal range vs pulling almost 40% between STFT and LTFT. Could my sensor be failing or is there something I?m missing that could cause my flex fuel sensor to go ape shit all of a sudden?

Tuner
    I have seen failed sensors behave exactly how you describe. I have also seen aftermarket coils cause this issue for the sensors that are powered by a coil pack.

RPS Twin Carbon Clutch
    Kook's Headers
    Ported Supercharger
    Cold Air Inductions cai
    ID850's
    GPTuning 2.5 Cam
    9.1 Lower 2.5 Upper

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ABADZL1 View Post
    I have seen failed sensors behave exactly how you describe. I have also seen aftermarket coils cause this issue for the sensors that are powered by a coil pack.
    Alright. I don’t have aftermarket coils so I’m going to guess the sensor has failed.

Does anyone know if I can shoot the sensor with a multimeter and see if it’s bad that way or should I just look at replacing it?

Tuner
    You would need a multimeter that can measure the Hz signal. Not the voltage. 50hz = 0% Alc. 150hz = 100%
    Last edited by ABADZL1; 02-07-2020 at 11:48 AM.

RPS Twin Carbon Clutch
    Kook's Headers
    Ported Supercharger
    Cold Air Inductions cai
    ID850's
    GPTuning 2.5 Cam
    9.1 Lower 2.5 Upper

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ABADZL1 View Post
    You would need a multimeter that can measure the Hz signal. Not the voltage. 50hz = 0% Alc. 150hz = 100%
    I’m an aircraft mechanic by trade so there is no issue there. Do I check the Hz at the wire going to the ECM or do I check a different wire?

Tuner
    I'm an Aircraft mechanic also. Lol The wire going to the ecm would be correct

RPS Twin Carbon Clutch
    Kook's Headers
    Ported Supercharger
    Cold Air Inductions cai
    ID850's
    GPTuning 2.5 Cam
    9.1 Lower 2.5 Upper

Senior Tuner
    check what the default percentage is as thats where it goes when sensor fails, personally i have that at a safe richer side like 80% so even if im on petrol and it fails is fails rich if im on ethanol is is still safe as stock can fail to a lower percentage which if ur on e85 and fail to e10 u will lean out