Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L83/6l80 help

Tuner in Training

L83/6l80 help

Stock combo in a C10, runs and drives but have a few issues. Anyone willing to look at logs and help fix the tune. I have several logs showing the issues. Willing to pay for a fixed tune, struggling finding help.

Issues below

Cold start up- seems to get stuck in a start up table or something. Very rich, struggle rpm until you tap throttle then returns to normal idle. Does this cold start only

Idle light hunting until 150-160 temp

Trans shifts are sluggish, mph is good for shifts but timing is long Almost feels like a shift flare

Mass air volume code. I am running a 4? intake tube

Any takers?

Senior Tuner
    I'm sure we can help you substantially. Post your tune file so we can take a look at it.
    It looks as if your throttle never opens more than 62% at WOT. The MAP sensor is around 87-88 kPA, so there is a substantial amount of performance to be gained by getting the tune squared away.
    Does the MAF code come on as soon as you start the vehicle?

Tuner in Training
    I’m pretty sure it’s always on, here’s the tune. Thanks for helping. lukec10225miles.hpt

Senior Tuner
    Try this one and see how it performs. I'd recommend troubleshooting the MAF right away. Exactly which DTC is it showing?

lukec10225mileskwmod1.hpt

Code is probably a P0101. MAF not reading what the calibration thinks it should. If that MAF is intalled in the 4" intake tube, the speed of the air is much lower than it was going through the smaller stock intake tube. This will cause VERY LOW expectations from the PCM. It just thinks that you are breathing less so it commands less fuel, lower trans pressures, wrong timing, etc. No big deal. If that is the case, you need to tune the MAF.

I'd still go through and tune the rest of the system. Just saying that tuning the MAF will seriously improve your situation.

Tuner in Training
    [QUOTE=kevin87turbot;599332]Try this one and see how it performs. I'd recommend troubleshooting the MAF right away. Exactly which DTC is it showing?

huge improvement, only drove it about 25 miles but it seemed to shift better the longer I drove it. can you help tune the maf?

2-8coldstartnewtune.hplnormalallgears.hplwot1234.hplwarmstartissue.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    Code is probably a P0101. MAF not reading what the calibration thinks it should. If that MAF is intalled in the 4" intake tube, the speed of the air is much lower than it was going through the smaller stock intake tube. This will cause VERY LOW expectations from the PCM. It just thinks that you are breathing less so it commands less fuel, lower trans pressures, wrong timing, etc. No big deal. If that is the case, you need to tune the MAF.

I'd still go through and tune the rest of the system. Just saying that tuning the MAF will seriously improve your situation.
    I believe your right on the code, ill grab my scanner tomorrow and make sure.

Yeah, kevin87turbot gave you a real gift. He already made a number of helpful changes to make it respond better and run stronger.

You will still need to figure out what is happening with the MAF. Logs show a contradiction...a little lean yet the MAF g/sec much higher than physically possible. I had expected the opposite with the 4" intake pipe. More than likely the MAF is failed (thus not causing the lean fueling). If that is the case, the VVE is just a bit lean. It will make quite a difference still when you figure out the MAF issue.

Senior Tuner
    Like IARLLC said, there is still an issue with your MAF sensor. It's reading much higher than expected...by a factor of 2 or 3. That's not something that should be tuned. It really needs to be physically addressed. Will you post a pic of your air tube? Do you have access to the original air tube from the 2017 Silverado? If so, I'd install it at least temporarily to see how the MAF functions.

Tuner in Training
    Ok thanks for the input

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin87turbot View Post
    Like IARLLC said, there is still an issue with your MAF sensor. It's reading much higher than expected...by a factor of 2 or 3. That's not something that should be tuned. It really needs to be physically addressed. Will you post a pic of your air tube? Do you have access to the original air tube from the 2017 Silverado? If so, I'd install it at least temporarily to see how the MAF functions.

Ok understand, I don”t have the factory tube so I’ll build a 3.5” tube early this week and try that. I also have extra mass air sensors if needed. Really appreciate the help and I’ll take care of you for your time.
    Last edited by Embryc10; 02-09-2020 at 09:17 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Last edited by Embryc10; 02-09-2020 at 09:15 AM.

Senior Tuner
    I would try the spare MAF sensor first and see how it performs. It's just odd that it reads so high in that 4" tube.

Tuner in Training
    I would try the spare MAF sensor first and see how it performs. It's just odd that it reads so high in that 4" tube.
    New maf will be here tomorrow so I’ll post up a start up and idle log. Raining for days here!

Tuner in Training
    new maf installed in the 4" tube few start up logs, cant drive due to the weather anything look better? what are we watching the maf hz?
    Attached Files Attached Files

Any idea why your throttle is only opening 62%? I'm in the same boat but I get closer to 70% at WOT.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Embryc10 View Post
    new maf installed in the 4" tube few start up logs, cant drive due to the weather anything look better? what are we watching the maf hz?
    That looks better. Did the MAF code come back after you installed the new MAF?

Tuner in Training
    That looks better. Did the MAF code come back after you installed the new MAF?
    I’m not sure, I’ll hook my gauges back up tonight and see if it’s there. Using Dakota digital gauges so I have to unhook them to use the obd2 port. It did start up pretty nice every time so hopefully we are making headway

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by jasonz28camaro View Post
    Any idea why your throttle is only opening 62%? I'm in the same boat but I get closer to 70% at WOT.
    I’m not sure, hopefully figure that out once my maf issue is fixed. I have read that tq management will pull timing at wot and cause that but I’m not an OE tuner