Thread: MPVI2 Replacement options question.

MPVI2 Replacement options question.

This may seem long-winded, and it may very well be. Apologies for this. I did a search and my specific questions were not answered. But some good info still came of it, so not a waste of time.

My VCI works fine. Bought it with 4 credits. Used 2, going to use the other 2. Most likely I will get more and do a few tunes. Here's where things get confusing for me.

1. Information I have found states that when I use credits to license the ECU, I am licensing that SPECIFIC ECU, unless special licensing options were applied. Unlimited tunes to that particular ECU. Meaning if ECU bricks for any reason, I need to re-license it. It also binds that license to the VCI, correct?

2. If #1 is correct, what happens of my VCI breaks? Do my licenses already purchased and available credits transfer to the new VCI? Understand this to be correct, read it somewhere, but cannot remember where, so there is no way to verify.

Here is my situation. I am a tech, I focus more on diagnostics in my shop, then chip in for whatever work isn't sent to other techs, interns, etc. I bought HP tuners stuff for personal vehicles, to learn how to tune, add to my skill set, etc. What I was not expecting, and very happy with the surprise, VCM scanner is really a kick ass data logger for supported vehicles. "Brand name" scan tools have recording abilities, some have multiple category recording abilities(vehicle dependent), and some only give a brief PID list at a time and sometimes do not record. VCM scanner broke through that brick wall of like the Kool Aid man. So, the MPVI2 is designed to be connected and disconnected, as leaving it in drains batteries. Wear and tear happens. While I am using it as designed but with a bigger focus on data logging, and repeated use, eventually it will break. Most likely of my own accord. No fault to HP tuners for that, and I would gladly pay for the replacement MVPI2. But I don't want to have to re-license every ECU I already paid for.

3. Stand alone data logging alone makes the VCI worth buying as a tool in my box. Customers are the ones who feel the problem. Makes more sense to have them driving while logging. Makes even more sense to not have to go ride with them. Found it makes them nervous and harder to duplicate the concern at times. I don't give 2 craps how you drive your car. It's not my job to teach you how to drive, it's my job to keep your car on the road safely. If I am telling you to stop driving like that, you really are screwing up....lol. I usually put it more diplomatically than that. I'm off duty. lol. Is MPVI2 STANDARD able to do stand alone data logging, or is the pro features set required?

Thanks in advance for the help!
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    1. correct
    2. if your MPVI breaks open a support ticket and we'll walk you through the replacement process.
    3. the MPVI2 does not offer standalone datalogging.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    1. correct
    2. if your MPVI breaks open a support ticket and we'll walk you through the replacement process.
    Awesome about 1&2. As far as standalone data logging, in the VCM scanner, there is an option under the vehicle tab called "MPVI Pro Data Logging". Is this for the older MPVI-1(old inteface) only then? If MPVI2 doesn't do standalone in any fashion, is this a future feature to be added? Honestly, this is a big untapped market for you guys.

Thanks for the reply Bill, and even if the only option is to log with a laptop on the MPVI2, the logger is still kick ass.
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    MPVi1 only. No eta for standalone datalogging via MPVI2.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

ok, thanks for the clarification!
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill@HPTuners View Post
    1. correct
    I see some time has passed since this was posted. I purchased the pro upgrade based on standalone data logging. Did this not get implemented yet?