Thread: Baro sensor fail affecting tune?

Baro sensor fail affecting tune?

I recently got my 68 camaro l86 swap up and running and I noticed I had a few codes pop up, P2227and P2228. These were around the BARO sensor at the MAF sensor. Turns out the BARO sensor wire?s terminal was pulled from the ECM connector enough to not make contact. So I?ve been driving with the BARO doing nothing, it?s never seen 5v nor does the scanner see any pressure readings.

How exactly is this sensor used in conjunction with the MAP as far as tuning goes? Is it even needed? I?ve done some initial MAF and MAP tuning, is this preventing me from an optimized tune? The problem is fixed, just need to know if i should Start over with tuning now that it?s functioning properly. I?d also like to know what it does too.

My car is mostly stock, just a CAI and long tubes.

Thanks!

BARO tells us how much pressure is on the outside of the motor. It is based on this statistic that the PCM has to figure out how much to expect inside the motor when certain things happen. I am not sure how much pressure the PCM defaults to when it cannot see the sensor but temps default to -40... so if the PCM defaults to some way off number for atmospheric pressure...your tuning will be affected.

That Camaro has to absolutely rock!

The ecm was seeing 0 pressure (not accounting for atmospheric pressure) according to a tech2 but the default could be different. Now that it?s hooked up the voltage is correct and it reads the atmospheric pressure.

Thanks, the car does rock! It also has a 10-speed so it makes it a little more fun.

I think I?ll start over all my tuning attempts and try to get better partial throttle /idle fuel trims. Moderate to full throttle seems to be just about spot on. This is kind of the reverse of what i thought the baro sensor would affect but time will tell. Im also only seeing 60-70% TB opening, probably something different but I?ll tackle that later on.

If anyone else had any more input on the baro sensor please chime in, if interested in learning more about this.
    Last edited by jasonz28camaro; 02-10-2020 at 12:33 PM.

Tuner in Training
    did you ever get it figured out because im in the same situation

Quote Originally Posted by davispaintandbody View Post
    did you ever get it figured out because im in the same situation
    The sensor wire was unpinned at the ECM connector. No voltage was at the sensor so it was traced back to the ECM and it was not pinned in all the way. Common from factory from time to time with any pin.
    After it was corrected the throttle opens all the way.