Thread: Write entire.. bricked ecm

Write entire.. bricked ecm

ok so im sure its bricked, ecm off a 05 express van 6.0 4l80. purchased this ecm to convert a 07 old body style silverado from dbw to dbc. did a segment swap to switch to 4l60, closed file and saved as new file. did write entire and now ecm is dead, im just wondering wjat went wrong??

Tuner in Training
    Can you read it?

no, just says write transfer timed out and vcm scanner wont pick up

See if another device can read it for trouble codes. If a cable-equipped code reader or a Bluetooth code reader can read it then its not bricked.

Rick
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

Tuner in Training
    Yup if you can read codes its not bricked but that happen to me with write entire p.s if you get a new one make sure that its the same number p01 o p59 cause a vehicle unlicensed message will appears , change the cable if you are using mpvi2 that happen to me cause a cable failure

nothing picks it up. idk why its bricked, write entire finished without any errors. im confused

Quote Originally Posted by luisdavid11 View Post
    nothing picks it up. idk why its bricked, write entire finished without any errors. im confused
    What condition is the USB Port on your lap top in. I was running into this same problem but not with a write entire. Just normal tuning stuff, Found out that my usb port was going bad. If you bump the cable in the slightest it loses connection. I gave away that lap top and bought a new one.

usb port is fine, write entire finished 100% no errors no interruptions. i've done about 4 other vehicles since and no issues. getting another ecm but still stumped as to what bricked this one

Quote Originally Posted by luisdavid11 View Post
    usb port is fine, write entire finished 100% no errors no interruptions. i've done about 4 other vehicles since and no issues. getting another ecm but still stumped as to what bricked this one
    ECM could have been on its way out when you got it. At this point I would open it up and see if there's anything fried. Had a AEM Series 1 that lasted me 14 years and finally a PROM Chip decided to let go. Car was running fine, did some tweaking on a tune and it was a no start after. When I opened up to inspect it since AEM no longer supports it. It looked like the PROM Chip had melted, whats funny is I didnt smell anything at the time it let go. Usually theres a distinct burnt electronics smell when that stuff fries

Tuner
    out of curiosity did you segment swap with the same year trans segment and confirm the OS's were the same?

Potential Tuner
    This happened to me with at 411 computer. When you write entire while its in the vehicle there is alot of interference with ABS, radio, etc... This causes alot of missed data during a write. I bricked my computer doing this exact thing. The guages were dead and the fuel pump would not come on. I was able to unbrick my computer using a stand alone harness I made. In the 411 computers there is a pin on the board that you can ground out and it will reset the bootloader. Then using the stock file I did a 'write entire' and it was able to complete the write and the truck was back to normal. Im not sure if this will work with the p59 computer but for a 411 P01 it is unbrickable. So anytime you perform a 'write entire' it is a good idea to use a bench harness. Hopefully you can get this sorted out.
    Last edited by rclaytownsend; 02-13-2020 at 10:32 AM.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by rclaytownsend View Post
    I was able to unbrick my computer using a stand alone harness I made. In the 411 computers there is a pin on the board that you can ground out and it will reset the bootloader. out.
    Please provide specific info on how you did this or point me to where I can find it. What pin needs to be grounded and I assume the PCM was powered up when you did this.

Hello,

Here you go. I have never needed to do this but I'm told you only have about 15 seconds after grounding to get going on the rewrite attempt. Otherwise, you will need to ground it again. And I'm really not sure if these PCM's have nine lives like a cat so I'd be very diligent and ready to go here . . . try to get this done the first time.

This picture may only apply to certain P01 and P59 devices. YMMV.

Rick

PCM Pin Ground Recovery.png
    1970 Chevrolet El Camino LM7 5.3 liter mill and a 4L60E transmission.

I have to pull my radio fuse to write a new file