Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help a brother out with 01 diesel tuning

Advanced Tuner
    MAP PSI is Absolute so subtract 14.7 psi from data log and it will be gauge pressure.

Quote Originally Posted by nsracer
    Pretty much! LLY Duramax uses a variable geometry turbo - no wastegate (computer controlled vanes - basically like being able to constantly change the A/R). No vacuum on Diesels so no blowoff valve.

Anyway, what you're doing is basically making the ECM think the engine is seeing 20% less boost than the turbo is actually producing - ECM commands more boost to compensate and wala! More boost!
    here is a funny fact, with the boost table lowered for this guy's LB7 by mistake ( I haven't had a chance to set it back to stock yet) he is reporting a tremendous increase in his mileage as well as better performance.

and yes is is doing a manual, write the mileage down along with the gallons at each fillup, not using and data from the truck's systems. Now he doesn't want me to change back, but I am going to do it just to see if it changes his mileage again. He uses his 3500 dually for real work, not street shows, so maybe I have tripped over something here by mistake. Wouldn't be the first time!

- stu

Quote Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING
    MAP PSI is Absolute so subtract 14.7 psi from data log and it will be gauge pressure.
    Yup, agreed, he is getting the 19.5 max, just not sure if maybe it is ramping up slower, I have no pre-tune logs to compare with.

Thanks for the response Ted.

- stu

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by 04snake
    here is a funny fact, with the boost table lowered for this guy's LB7 by mistake ( I haven't had a chance to set it back to stock yet) he is reporting a tremendous increase in his mileage as well as better performance.

and yes is is doing a manual, write the mileage down along with the gallons at each fillup, not using and data from the truck's systems. Now he doesn't want me to change back, but I am going to do it just to see if it changes his mileage again. He uses his 3500 dually for real work, not street shows, so maybe I have tripped over something here by mistake. Wouldn't be the first time!

- stu
    Good deal! Let us know what you find...
    David De Anda
    SPR - Gilbert, AZ
    '05 HD - D/A

Advanced Tuner
    04Snake post your tune and I will take a look at it and make some suggestions.

no problem. Mucho apreciado!

the tune he is using is Street1:

the tune I was going to swap in with the boost table set back to stock is Street2:

Advanced Tuner
    Call me crazy but I don't see any difference in these 2 files.

Quote Originally Posted by JANNETTYRACING
    Call me crazy but I don't see any difference in these 2 files.
    no you are right, I updated the street1 and put the max boost tables back to stock before I renamed it to street2. That was a mistake, didn't notice it until later and is not my routine, sorry. The tune in the truck has a -20% correction to that table, that is the stock table in both, that was the only change.

Advanced Tuner
    OK post the stock tune and the mod tune and I will take look at them.

I uploaded the stock tune twice to the repository but it just finally showed up recently.

here it is:

Tuner in Training
    Hey 04snake i seen you on Steelcitystangs before. are you close to PGH? if so we might need to meet up and work on these max'x

but im curious to see your graph for the modded truck. i copied your table and the truck is a raped ape above 2200 rpms especially from a roll. but want to make sure we look identical

Quote Originally Posted by Quik
    Hey 04snake i seen you on Steelcitystangs before. are you close to PGH? if so we might need to meet up and work on these max'x

but im curious to see your graph for the modded truck. i copied your table and the truck is a raped ape above 2200 rpms especially from a roll. but want to make sure we look identical
    No I'm from Upstate NY, I know Lou pretty good so that is why I am on that forum. Have at that tune but you need to install EGT gauges to be safe. there are two main things done, but several other minor things that you need to be aware of, some having to do with limiters and you use them all at your own risk:

Main File : Warren_Diesel_street2.hpt
    Compare File: Warren_DieselStock.hpt

Main File Parameters : 229
    Compare File Parameters: 229

Parameters Compared: 203
    Differences : 9
    Similarities: 194

Engine
    Fuel Control
    Diesel
    Base Injector Timing
    Injector Timing Base Med vs. Fuel Qty vs. RPM 590 of 598 cells
    Injector Timing Base High vs. Fuel Qty vs. RPM 592 of 598 cells
    Injector PW
    Main Injector PW vs. Main Fuel Qty vs. Fuel Pressure 361 of 400 cells
    Main Injector PW (No Pilot) vs. Main Fuel Qty vs. Fuel Pressure 361 of 400 cells
    Torque Management
    General
    Maximum Torque
    Max Torque 625 : 601 ft.lb

Transmission
    Auto Shift Properties
    Desired Shift Time
    Desired Shift Time Adder - Normal 26 of 85 cells

Fuel System
    General
    Fuel Pressure
    Fuel Pressure Max Duty Cycle 98 : 89 %

Speedometer
    Speed Limiter
    General
    Speed Limiter 120 : 110 mph

I have a scan but I had to setup a config in a bigass rush as usual, so I don't have the niftiest selection of pids, but the .cfg matches what I collected.

knock yourself out:

Tuner in Training
    could you put that in the format of VCM editor?

that way i could compare it to mine

could you put that in the format of VCM editor?

that way i could compare it to mine
    the tune or the logs, its is all there? individual tables saves? not sure what you need?

Tuner in Training
    above you posted street1 and street2 but said you made the chart in street 1 stock where it was suppose to be street2 instead

i was hoping to see what the actual tune is in hte truck before you changed back the boost.

i want to opend it up in editor like the first 2 you posted so i can compare your file to my file to see how differetn we are

above you posted street1 and street2 but said you made the chart in street 1 stock where it was suppose to be street2 instead

i was hoping to see what the actual tune is in hte truck before you changed back the boost.

i want to opend it up in editor like the first 2 you posted so i can compare your file to my file to see how differetn we are
    I really don't want to post the mistake, someone will load that up and use it. I made a mistake when I reduced the table "Desired Boost Max vs Baro vs RPM". I screwed up and tried to mess with something that is controlled mechanically. If you don't have a reason to change something, leave it be. I have forced myself to change things slow and deliberate, having a plan, I screwed that up so I hope you don't waste your time messing with it.

I attached roughly what I did, I selected, I multiplied by -20% ( x 0.80).

I overwrote the only copy I had except what is loaded up and I'm not sure how to unload it, only reflash. Just like if you delete your stock tune, it is history too so be careful. I actually only reduced to about 1000 rpm and then smoothed it in with a little magic and did not want to mess with the idle levels of RPM. Sorry you will have to do something like I attached, to a separate version and compare the two, you will figure it out.