Thread: Programmed spark advance less than actual, read the stickies, logged the pids

Advanced Tuner

Programmed spark advance less than actual, read the stickies, logged the pids

Hi, I read the sticky about the other things that might pull timing so I logged all that are available and none are pulling timing.

At higher throttle I have 26 programmed and actual is 3 or 4 degrees lower.

My guess is it's the Burst Retard vs RPM, BUT I logged that and it stays right at 0.

There is a number logging knock learn factor, what is that and where is it in the tune? And could this be the problem?

It's a cam and exhaust only 5.3 in an s10. Not done with the tuning yet.
    Last edited by Jason B; 02-11-2020 at 04:25 PM.

You must have had some knock events prior to those runs in the log because the KLF was slowly workings it's way backs toward 1.00 where it would stop pulling any amount of timing.

Or you could see if the KLF resets to 0 when you flash a tune but I don't remember that happening to me ever. Aside from that, keep working the VE to get rid of the high/low spikes.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the reply.

So if klf gets to 1 it should get actual timing?

I'm lost with the VE table. I have to street tune it and cannot fill all of the cells. I even went out to the interstate at night to get a long road with less traffic, I've lowered the 3rd and 4th shift points and tcc lockup to basically have manual 3rd and 4th to put some load on it.
    So right now it runs ok. I guess I need to do some hand blending.

I'm following ChopperDocs videos, so I'm using his methods this time around.
    Last edited by Jason B; 02-10-2020 at 05:35 PM.

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    in an automatic your not going to cover as much ve as you would in a manual due to converter slip. they are purposely built to slip as a result of their torque multiplication feature design. you end up getting really good data on the street for a curved section of the ve table and everything else becomes an interpolation or function of smooth. Unless you can load it up abnormally, then your not going to cover as much ve as you likely think you will.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Advanced Tuner
    The last cam was small. I did the ve tuning, then maf tuning. I put those tables in the stock tune and hand blended the ve table going off fuel trims and it turned out good.
    Does anyone smooth the ve table like this?
    I want to work on the hanging positive LTFT that stays in during PE next.