Thread: 6R80 Cold Shift mode in 2014 F150 tune

Tuner in Training

6R80 Cold Shift mode in 2014 F150 tune

Can anyone tell me what Cold Shift mode is and what it does? My stock tune has it leaving cold shift mode at 105F but there does not seem to be any associated settings to tell me what its doing.

My trucks trans takes FOREVER to warm up in the winter. 30 min and I am lucky to see 150F on a cold day. I was hoping this mode might keep the Torque converter unlocked so that I can get the fluid up to temp faster.
    2014 F150 EcoBoost

Quote Originally Posted by mass-hole View Post
    Can anyone tell me what Cold Shift mode is and what it does? My stock tune has it leaving cold shift mode at 105F but there does not seem to be any associated settings to tell me what its doing.

My trucks trans takes FOREVER to warm up in the winter. 30 min and I am lucky to see 150F on a cold day. I was hoping this mode might keep the Torque converter unlocked so that I can get the fluid up to temp faster.
    I think it doesn't allow for certain adaptive learning during this condition because the fluid temp is constantly rising and it's hard to get consistent data during this time. This would produce inconsistent learned data thus shift times and quality would reflect that. I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that but i hope this helps. It don't think it keeps your converter unlocked, that is done by your converter's apply/release tables.

Tuner in Training
    Quote Originally Posted by JaegerWrenching View Post
    I think it doesn't allow for certain adaptive learning during this condition because the fluid temp is constantly rising and it's hard to get consistent data during this time. This would produce inconsistent learned data thus shift times and quality would reflect that. I'm sure there is a lot more to it than that but i hope this helps. It don't think it keeps your converter unlocked, that is done by your converter's apply/release tables.
    I decided to try experimenting and set the Cold Shift Exit to 150F. Cold started the truck after sitting overnight and it did indeed keep the torque converter unlocked until 150F.

86223928_182665342969083_2856407737242222592_n.png
    2014 F150 EcoBoost

It looks to be locking it with the cold shift so try lowering the cold shift temp and see what that does. I'm curious to know why on the eco boost 6r80 it's that way but not on the 6r140 or big brother trans.