Thread: 2016 Mustang GT tuning questions

Tuner

2016 Mustang GT tuning questions

Hello everyone. I have a 2016 Mustang GT with a CAI, 5.2 voodoo intake, and gt 350 throttle body. Not my car personally but one that was offered to me as a learning tool. I've had good success with LS and Mopar stuff. If someone had a modified file that I could look at so I could research the changes, that would be awesome. However, I am open to any pointers on engine or transmission. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Advanced Tuner
    Take a look in the repository for the pp3 file you can use that for the throttle body data and maf transfer function as a start.

Read on how the VCT points work. Timing is no longer directly controlled by one table and neither are the cam angles. Read on the torque model, ford VE model. There are some good threads in here for transmission control but are buried in posts. What I do is every time I come across a good piece of info I copy it and paste it to my notepad to read on at a later time. Study the idle controls and how they are airflow based. Remember the MAF is frequency based not voltage.

The files in the repo specially Roush stock and others will give you a sense of how to simplify VCT in some cases. It is a lot of reading but if you have a car to work with it is even better. Read on anything Eric and Murfie post. There are others too but I'm just gong from top of my head.

Tuner
    Just an update. I solved my problem with a custom table that works really well with driver demand. Case closed. Thanks everyone.

Tuner in Training
    Running into issues with the same setup, 2016 Mustang Gt 5.0L Manual, The Dealer installed a Voodoo 5.2L intake & upgraded Throttle body because they couldn't acquire a factory intake. has a K&N cold air intake, its had some sort of tune in the past and they were not able to overwrite the "voodoo tune" on a NON-factory Tune. It cuts randomly under power or WOT. Getting a few dtc's as well: p061b internal control module torque calculation performance, p2006 intake manifold runner control stuck closed bank 1, p2007 intake manifold runner control stuck closed bank 2. all pending not stored. Any tune files you may have im sure would be of great help, will be using the tips above in the meantime to try to get this thing driving right.

Heres whats currently in the car, this is how it was given to me.

2016 MUSTANG CURRENT TUNE EVENING OF 3-15-23 838PM.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    There is a manual perforamance pack 3 file in the repository could flash that and just use stock maf period data as your not running the gt350 cold air intake that the kit usually comes with. you could license that and flash it i believe it will take 6 credits to work.

Tuner in Training
    why would that take 6 credits, vs the original car took two.
    Cant i transfer those parameters in?
    the current tune vs the gt350/pp3 tune i found looks like it has different scale points on predicted throttle angle and effective area when i pull up the tables.

how do you deal with that.

Tuner in Training
    is it cutting spark or why is that so jumpy? its cutting out again around 3k rpm mainly 1st and second gear.
    look at 3:53min in.

cuts out again early in test drive.hpl

Tuner in Training
    Sounds like the tune was never adjusted for the IMRC's being removed and it needs a retune for the manifold and throttle body. Also if the K&N filter has a bigger maf housing than stock the tune will also need to be adjusted for that as well.

Tuner in Training

Try this tune and see if it helps.

2016gt350mani&tb.hpt this tune should be a good start and get you going. It has the maf curve of the K&N Aircharger I'm not sure if that's the one you have if not. If this is the incorrect one you will have to adjust the maf curve to get your fuel trims correct.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner in Training
    Something is not right with that tune anything under 2700 rpm it stays in normal operating closed loop but anytime you are on the gas and it hits 2750 and up it kicks into open loop acce/... Right when it kicks into the mode your WB EQ ratios shoot up to 2.0 lambda which is very lean so the car must be cutting spark because of a lean spike. Also your long term fuel trims were 13-14% off when the engine was cold and about 7-8% off when the engine was cold. That means the maf is not dialed in correctly, try my tune above and see if that helps!

Tuner in Training
    Just to be clear the tune i provided was after the dealer installed the upgraded intake etc. but they installed without any tuning. someone had tuned it prior to the upgrades but i believe the K&N was on it before hand i will try to get more info on that.

2nd it looks like this upgraded voodoo intake has Vacuum actuated IMRC's, please correct me if i am wrong.

i will try this tune and get back to you. Should i be transferring/copying this stuff into my vehicle or trying to load that particular tune file in its entirety into the car? if so will i have to buy more credits if the tune is out of another VIN car?

Advanced Tuner
    if so will i have to buy more credits if the tune is out of another VIN car?

Yes, so copy it to your tune.

Tuner in Training
    how do i correct the different scaling on different tables between the old tune and the new one?IMG_5807[1101].jpgIMG_5808[1103].jpg
    Last edited by WP19; 04-06-2023 at 09:15 AM.

Senior Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by WP19 View Post
    how do i correct the different scaling on different tables between the old tune and the new one?IMG_5807[1101].jpgIMG_5808[1103].jpg
    You should open your file,then use the compare menu to open the tune you want to copy from.

From the same menu you can open "view comparison log". In this menu you can right click what tables you want to copy and copy the selected differences. It will copy table values and axis's.

Compare.jpg

If you want to just edit the axis, the easy way is to just left click the name.
    Another way is to right click the menu highlight row or column, and select edit.
    Last edited by murfie; 04-06-2023 at 11:28 PM.

Tuner in Training
    loaded the 2016 mustang mani & TB tune above and overall the drivability is worse, its bogging, and throttle hanging on decel. It still seems choppy as you lean into the throttle on first or second gear. idk if the throttle is snapping shut or if timing is being pulled.

mod 7 bogs, cuts out, throttle hangs.hpl