Thread: Regular vs Beta, can I have both installed?

Regular vs Beta, can I have both installed?

Read somewhere about this, couldn't locate it again via search, and I need to know what/how to do what I should or shouldn't do. Also remember it saying not to flash with beta.

Haven't tried the beta as of yet, but almost every other reply to peoples posts has been get the beta. Not really, but that phrase pops up a lot.

Can I have the beta and the latest "full release" installed at the same time? Does beta overwrite the current version I have installed? If I read what I did correctly, you read vehicle with "current", edit with "beta", and then flash with "current".

Trying to get into tuning gen V gm, and understand there are more tables available in the beta. If I read what I did correctly, you read vehicle with "current", edit with "beta", and then flash with "current". So for that, I would think it is possible to have both current and beta installed.

Any info on the how to without crashing either/both versions?
    03 Z06 stock.......for now
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Yes, release & beta versions are allowed to coexist. No special steps needed for install, just use the defaults. Beta creates its own desktop/toolbar shortcuts.

Advanced Tuner
    Yes. Just an FYI. Save the 4.4.4 installer package. If you install beta, it will become the default app to handle HPT logs and files. To revert back, run the 4.4.4 installer and run the REPAIR option. 4.4.4 will be the default again.
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

Cool, thanks for the info. Would setting .hpt and .hpl default app back to 4.4.4.0 within windows itself be the same as running the repair? Is there some sort of thing I can subscribe to for notifications of the latest stable and beta updates?
    Last edited by vettemakesemwet; 02-12-2020 at 08:17 PM.
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily
    I have realized that tuning is a rabbit hole. No problem diving down this hole, in fact I jumped willingly. Just want to avoid hitting every ugly rock or root on the way down it.

Advanced Tuner
    Nah. Setting the defaults won't work. I tried that already. I was a little disappointed that it didn't work since I work in IT and just KNEW that would work. Lol. And no, HP Tuners has no update notification for the beta. I check regularly. They seem to update the beta almost daily. Now in the stable version, clicking HELP and then ABOUT will make the software check for a newer version. That's about it...

Tuner
    FWIW, for me at least, help-about to check for a newer beta works in the beta software too. And yeah, the rate at which updates come out is kind of amusing... I wonder what the heck they're changing?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
    FWIW, for me at least, help-about to check for a newer beta works in the beta software too. And yeah, the rate at which updates come out is kind of amusing... I wonder what the heck they're changing?
    Just tried it and it worked. It didnt work for me before. Maybe the changed something...
    Daily Driver= 2003 BMW 330xi
    Weekend Cruiser= 2009 Pontiac G8 GT (Vararam, TSP LS3 N/A Stage 1, OBX, CTS-V converter, MagnaFlows w/ J-Pipes, 160 t-stat)
    Project Car= 1991 Chevrolet Camaro RS (LQ4 w/ Gen 4 Rods, LS3 heads, turbo...)
    Truck= 2007 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT LY5 4x4

HP Tuners Support
    (foff667)
    Quote Originally Posted by ELaw View Post
    New definitions and support for new applications are the most common changes going on.
    It doesn't have to be perfect, it just needs to be done in two weeks...

A wise man once said "google it"

Guess I'll just have to go the old fashioned route of opening the version I want and then opening the file from within that vs the hpt/hpl from file explorer. Windows doesn't care what to open files with if I use a program to open the file. Stupid windows. lol.
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily

Advanced Tuner
    Create a shortcut to each version on the Desktop.
    Then drag your hpl file and drop it on the shortcut you want to use.

Never really use drag and drop but good to know it works. Thanks!
    05 Siearra 5.3 daily

I like to keep them all. My tuning laptop has 2.24 and 3.x as well.

HPTVersions.JPG
    2010 Camaro LS3 (E38 ECU - Spark only). MS3X running complete RTT fuel control (wideband).
    Whipple 2.9L, 3.875" Pulley, kit injectors, supplied MSD Boost-A-Pump, stock pump
    LG Motorsports 1 7/8" Headers - No Cats, stock mid pipe with JBA Axle Back
    ZL1 Wheels/Tires