Thread: Ecotec/Solstice engine /fuel system limits

Senior Tuner

Ecotec/Solstice engine /fuel system limits

How far have people pushed the NA 2.4 boosted?

How about the turbo 2.0?

The GXP solstice is all direct injected right, how far can those injectors go if you have enough low side fuel system?
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    2.4 block (l5p range) cracks in the lower block at varying power levels depending on the quality of the casting. Darton refuses to sleeve the 2.4 block due to this issue.

the 2.0 is capable of 1000 hp+ with internals and hardware being the major issues.
    the 2.2 cavalier engine from early on is also more than capable of 1000 hp+

the direct injection motors have issues with teh high pressure fuel delivery system capping out around 500 whp and maybe in the 550-580 whp range on e85. fuel flow qty is your biggest concern. you will typically see a 500 hp limit on any rwd ecotec due to drivetrain loss over the fwd variants.
    you can buy bigger injectors from nostrum but your better off doing something like a secondary stand alone fuel system that runs a second rail or a single point fuel injector like a split second module or zzp lnf 5th injector setup.
    those di blocks can take a whooping too if you build them right. i think highest hp publicly recorded is 900 something but i stopped keeping track.

the typical big power guys float around the 700 hp mark. the common big turbo street guys are slinging 500-600.
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman

Senior Tuner
    So the lower end of the casting is different on the 2.4 its not just a bigger bore?

I meant stock pistons/rods etc really what could they take

Quote Originally Posted by cobaltssoverbooster View Post
    2.4 block (l5p range) cracks in the lower block at varying power levels depending on the quality of the casting. Darton refuses to sleeve the 2.4 block due to this issue.

the 2.0 is capable of 1000 hp+ with internals and hardware being the major issues.
    the 2.2 cavalier engine from early on is also more than capable of 1000 hp+

the direct injection motors have issues with teh high pressure fuel delivery system capping out around 500 whp and maybe in the 550-580 whp range on e85. fuel flow qty is your biggest concern. you will typically see a 500 hp limit on any rwd ecotec due to drivetrain loss over the fwd variants.
    you can buy bigger injectors from nostrum but your better off doing something like a secondary stand alone fuel system that runs a second rail or a single point fuel injector like a split second module or zzp lnf 5th injector setup.
    those di blocks can take a whooping too if you build them right. i think highest hp publicly recorded is 900 something but i stopped keeping track.

the typical big power guys float around the 700 hp mark. the common big turbo street guys are slinging 500-600.
    Factory Stock 97 SS M6 13.51 @ 104.3 mph
    Stock Longblock LS1 w/ 233/238 P.S.I. Cam
    10.81 @ 126.9 Full interior, six speed on 275 radials, a decade ago

'99 TA trunk mounted 76mm 6 Liter
    9.0s in '09 @ 153 MPH

Turbo 5.3 Volvo 740 Wagon
    32psi and still winding out 5th on the highway somewhere

Senior Tuner cobaltssoverbooster's Avatar
    from the words of darton it seems there is a flaw down there. i dont inspect 2.4 blocks like they do so i cant speak any more than that. once i read their issues notes i stopped modifying the 2.4 blocks.
    look for yourself...they dont even hint at supporting the 2.4 variants
    https://dartonsleeves.com/mid_02.html

i bet you would get to 300 before a stock le5 fell apart
    2000 Ford Mustang - Top Sportsman