Thread: L83 Will not start after checking for continuity for o2 sensors

Potential Tuner

L83 Will not start after checking for continuity for o2 sensors

Ok I am new to tuning and learning as I go (I have NOT flashed ANYTHING yet), I was trying to figure out why my o2 sensors were not reading and I started to check for continuity for from the connector because they were not registering according to the MPVI2 from the the black X2 connector. I did not unplug anything else....BUT I did misread the pins on the plug (like I said I am new and learning quickly) and plug it into what I thought was pin 10 and it was not due to the fact that I was reading the pins backwards and I think I may have blown a diode or something inside the PCM.

When the key is turn on to accessory right before start the fuel pump kicks in and I try and start and I get nothing...BUT here are the codes that have popped up and I have never seen these codes previoulsy (the car was running and driving prior to this.

P107 MAP BARO CIRCUIT LOW
    P16A1 MANUFACTURE CONTROL AUX INPUT AUX OUPUTS X2
    P0097 IAT SENSOR 2 CIRCUIT LOW
    P00F4 FUEL AIR METERING AUX EMMISIONS CONTROL
    P06DA COMPUTER AND AUX OUTPUTS

I am leaning towards I fried something inside the PCM?

Advanced Tuner
    Probably spread the pins you were checking, seen that before. Happens when you shove a paper clip, or some other item down inside the connector, to test the circuit.

Potential Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by danmw2003 View Post
    Probably spread the pins you were checking, seen that before. Happens when you shove a paper clip, or some other item down inside the connector, to test the circuit.
    Were you standing over my should as I was doing it? LOL That is exactly what I did...lesson learned!

Advanced Tuner
    You'll have to depin the female connector wires and hopefully, carefully shape it back together. Usually end up replacing the pin though, in my experience.

Potential Tuner
    You'll have to depin the female connector wires and hopefully, carefully shape it back together. Usually end up replacing the pin though, in my experience.
    Ok thank you!!

Potential Tuner
    My man you were right on the money, I had some pins that were collapse and I reshaped them and the car fired up!!!

Thank you!

Advanced Tuner
    Yeah so, lesson learned lol. Next time, use something that wont bend or spread the pin, when your shoving things in the connectors to check circuits. At least you got it figured out and weren't throwing parts at it, that it didn't need.

Advanced Tuner
    Also, for future reference. Circuit low faults are caused by bad connections, circuits with high resistance because of a pinched wire, or a pin that's not making good contact with the female side (which causes high resistance in that circuit). Circuit high faults are open circuits. Meaning the wire is cut somewhere or not connected at all. It reports it as a "circuit high" because the voltage is maxed out on that pin location in the ECM, because there is no circuit attached to it, ie cut wire / open circuit.

Potential Tuner
    Also, for future reference. Circuit low faults are caused by bad connections, circuits with high resistance because of a pinched wire, or a pin that's not making good contact with the female side (which causes high resistance in that circuit). Circuit high faults are open circuits. Meaning the wire is cut somewhere or not connected at all. It reports it as a "circuit high" because the voltage is maxed out on that pin location in the ECM, because there is no circuit attached to it, ie cut wire / open circuit.
    That is good info thank you very much, I didn?t realize that the facing in the connector came off making easier to probe as well, I able to get Bank 1 working now I need to get bank 2 working, it?s showing heater circuit malfunction and heater circuit low engine codes on bank 2.

Thank you very much I know we all have to start somewhere, I was tired of waiting on other people so the best way to combat is to learn on my own!

Advanced Tuner
    Glad i could help!