Thread: Can we full flash a T87A?

Advanced Tuner

Can we full flash a T87A?

I have a 2017 Camaro with a 8L90 and I really want to run a ZO6 Corvette TCM Operating System on my TCM. The stock shift times on the Corvette OS are a lot faster along with some other stuff. If you just copy the Corvette shift times to the Camaro OS, the 4 to 3 downshift ties up bad enough to kick on traction control I am assuming from the rapid change in wheel speed. If we can run the Corvette OS it should populate all the tables for the on and off going clutches to align with the faster shift. I think the Corvette and Camaro have the same 8L90? I could be wrong though and they're may be mechanical differences for the faster shifts and especially faster down shifts.

If I remember correctly (which does not happen very often) the Camaros receive their paddle orders via can message from the BCM while the Vette has the paddles wired directly to the TCM. So if you get the Vette OS into your TCM I expect it to be unhappy about the difference. Then again, if you wire the paddles directly, like the Vette, maybe the world will be a more beautiful place.

Advanced Tuner
    I guess it couldn't hurt anything if I tried it?

I have heard of it being done. People that tried the Corvette settings in other rigs say that it shifted so much faster that the trans would bind up. Maybe running on the Vette OS will get rid of the bind and make it more fun? Not sure. I am not sure also about the other results related to manual shifter connections... Sure interested to find out.

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by IARLLC View Post
    I have heard of it being done. People that tried the Corvette settings in other rigs say that it shifted so much faster that the trans would bind up. Maybe running on the Vette OS will get rid of the bind and make it more fun? Not sure. I am not sure also about the other results related to manual shifter connections... Sure interested to find out.
    Yes my theory is that the off-going pressure decrease rate needs to be increased to align with the increased on-coming rate, since we don't have access to those tables in HP Tuners, hopefully the entire OS write will put the proper off-going rates in.

Do you know if there are any mechanical differences in the Corvette ZO6 and Camaro 8L90? I am afraid there are, since I would think GM would have just put the same OS into the regular 8L90 corvettes, but maybe not since the 8L90 kind of debuted with the ZO6 and they advertised how quick it shifted.

I don't know if there are mechanical differences. I kinda doubt it given the motor. Maybe there are some mechanical changes compared to the truck L86 because of rpm range or something but between those 2 rigs, probably the same stuff.

Looking forward to hearing how this goes.

Advanced Tuner
    The z06 8l90 is mechanically different than the base car. There are extra clutch packs.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks for the info, do you know if there are hydraulic or flow differences?

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by cmitchell17 View Post
    Thanks for the info, do you know if there are hydraulic or flow differences?
    I know GM has propriety solenoid data for basically every version of them, so I'm sure but couldn't honestly tell you what sorry.

The valve body is interchangeable between pretty much all of the 8 speeds from 15-17. There are flow differences from solenoid to solenoid so they want them registered with the TCM but it is not like they use a different kind of solenoid or valve body from the truck to the car to the supercharged car. No surprise if the ZL1 uses more frictions than a Camaro SS and likewise a Z06 uses more frictions than a base Vette but the trans is basically the same from a control/hydraulic standpoint.

Advanced Tuner
    So I went to try it and realized I couldn't because the file is not licensed. So I think I have to do a segment swap? Or how am I supposed to do this, or can it even be done without having to buy a license for the file?

Advanced Tuner
    So I can't do segment swapper since I guess its not the same OS and Cal ID, the button is greyed out. So it doesn't look like there is a way to do this unless I license the file?

That is great if there is a way to do it via HPTuners. If it only requires licensing the file, that is great. I don't know.

Since you need to change OS I expect that you need to write it via MDI or Mongoose Pro GM using SPS. This is how I make the big changes. After that you might still need to re-license the TCM for tuning.