Thread: 4L60e 1-2, 2-3 shift solenoid scan and operating issue

4L60e 1-2, 2-3 shift solenoid scan and operating issue

Good day gentlemen, started scanning the ol' 4L60e truck transmission, trying to dial it in, but,...left me seeking y'all's expertise on two questions.

First, when I look at the scanner channel selector PID list, it provides on/off status's for:
    - Shift solenoid 1-2
    - Shift solenoid 3-2
    - Shift solenoid 3-4 (bingo,... there's the first question...a 3-4 shift solenoid doesn't exist in a 4L60e,...is this supposed to be the 2-3 shift solenoid? Simply mislabeled on the PID list?,..... I scanned using this 3-4,... incase it actually was the 2-3 solenoid)

Which kinda leads into the second question (given I don't know if something may be wrong with the 3-4 PID above);
    Sitting in my driveway this morning, I started scanning the transmission,...simply cycling through the shift lever PNRD321,...(sitting still - I know you can only get to 2nd gear doing this but),...what I saw, made me not take it for a drive for further scanning,....

It revealed;
    - Park, Neutral, Reverse - shows: 1-2 solenoid on: 3-4 (2-3?) solenoid on,.......P,N,R, are good per my GM shop manual (if that 3-4 is actually the 2-3)
    - 1st gear - shows: 1-2 solenoid on: 3-4 (2-3?) solenoid on,......this is also correct per the GM shop manual (again, if that 3-4 is actually the 2-3)
    - 2nd gear - shows: 1-2 solenoid on: 3-4 (2-3?) solenoid off,... (bingo,...there's the second question,...this is not correct - it should be opposite with 1-2 off and 3-4 (2-3?) on.

My 3-2 solenoid stayed off the entire time (as it should). I wasn't brave enough to drive to get any further gear info,....

There's only 353 miles on this new trans and, per my previous posts, I've had issues from day one.

Attached is a copy of my trans scan this morning, and a copy of my tune,...its a 96 K1500 with 0411 PCM swapped. The first 1/4 of the scan is me simply sitting, waiting for the truck to warm up,...then I start shifting through all the gears back and forth,...you can see the PRNDL status and Trans current gear moving around.

How would I know if this transmission tune is actually for a 4L80e instead of a 4L60e? I read 'the above solenoid on/off issue (2nd and 4th gears)' would be arse-about if it was a 4L80e tune running a 4L60e trans.

I sure hope this is something dumb I'm doing, and/or an easy fix. I've already triple checked the 0411 swap wiring.

Thanks for any help guys.
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

G'Day Gentlemen, I went to our tune repository this morning and found a 12212156 OS tune containing the 5.7L/4L80e (2002 Express van tune/ typical 0411 swap for trucks). Then did the compare feature to see differences - My base tune has all the 4L60e gear ratios listed properly, which are different on a 4L80e (i.e. 1st gear is 3.06 on a 60e, versus 2.48 on an 80e).

Thus, I should have the 4L60e in my base tune (and not the 4L80e)?

I haven't a clue what these numbers mean, but, in my base tune's "Calibrations Details" I have:
    Transmission ID 16264285 CVN 821F
    Transmission Diagnostics 16264444 CVN 8DDB
    I tried looking these numbers up on the net but, drew a blank. Anyone know what these numbers are/if they are indeed for a 4L60e? The repository tune I downloaded to compare (4L80e tune I mentioned above) has different numbers than mine,...which could be a good thing?

If my 0411PCM/base tune indeed has the 4L60e (which it should, it came from Lextech - man, he's a good dude),... then would you guys have any ideas what would cause my 2nd gear shift solenoids to be wrong? I'm worried about further damaging my new transmission under the 1st post conditions.

Thanks for the help guys.
    Totally restored - 1996 GMC K1500 ext cab, HT383e swap, MPFI spider, 0411 PCM swap, FLT Level 5 4L60e with Sonnax Smart Tech input housing, Tru-Cool 40k transmission cooler with -6AN lines, 1-5/8" Hedman Husler long tube race headers with 2-1/2"ss dual exhaust, rebuilt 3.73 rear axle with Yukon/Detroit Helical locker, 6" ProComp lift with steering stabilizer and rear traction bars, 35x12.50x15 BFG All Terrains, Perma-Cool e-fans, etc, etc, etc,..

I did my scan/line pressure gauge run today and frankly, this thread will interfere with what I actually need help on. Thus, I'll start a new thread. Basically, my 2nd gear and 4th gear solenoid on/off action is backwards (trying to figure out why). 1st and 2nd are OK. I'll explain the whole deal in my next thread.

Potential Tuner
    Having the same issue with my 96 k1500 I also just replaced the trans its 4l60e was hoping you had some luck on figuring out why the 1-2 & 2-3 selonoids are backwards