Thread: TCC?? Electronic Torque Converter Clutch apply tuning / built 4L60 - please teach me

Question TCC?? Electronic Torque Converter Clutch apply tuning / built 4L60 - please teach me

Hi, I am posting current tune and a log. The log consists of me backing out of the garage and getting on the highway, so the whole progression to 4th gear and overdrive. It's a short log too.
    I am aware that there are multiple converter PIDs but it feels king of obvious the clutch is locked after recent changes. I really need to get up to speed on what a TCC is/does/needs...

The vehicle is a 2002 Silverado 1500 2WD 5.3 full bolt-on with a built 4L60 (FTI 3200 rpm stall). Rear is stock 3.42 final drive but welded to be posi all the time.
    So I noticed in 3rd gear the TCC was bumping and thumping on and off as I guess it is tuned to do so from the factory. After some research I began to suspect that it should be turned off in all but 4th gear in order to stop the annoying madness as well as to prevent it from burning up. My attempt to accomplish that this morning resulted in it being locked all the time, probably because I set the release speed to 229 mph.

Let me tell you it drives nice, very positive and controllable, tranny temps are low and engine very responsive. But I aimed to accomplish the opposite - never locked until 4th. I will probably still try that tonight to see how it feels.

What is best for a daily driven race truck??? What does it want? What is an electronic torque converter clutch and how strong is it? Again I am posting my log and current tune, and here is the statement from the service literature:

"?A torque converter with an electronically controlled capacity clutch (ECCC)
    This transmission is equipped with an ECCC. The pressure plate does not fully lock to the torque converter cover. Instead, the pressure plate maintains a small amount of slippage, about 20 RPM, in SECOND, THIRD, and FOURTH gears, depending on the vehicle application. ECCC was developed to reduce the possibility of noise, vibration, or chuggle caused by TCC apply. Typical apply speeds are 49?52 km/h (30?32 mph) in THIRD gear and 65?73 km/h (40?45 mph) in FOURTH gear. Full lockup is available at highway speeds on some applications.
    "

Log:

20-02-13 05-13-32.hpl

Tune:

Plan C- BETA.hpt
    Last edited by Boost; 02-13-2020 at 08:18 AM.
    '12 Caprice PPV 6.0 L77 - daily transportation
    8.7 @ 84 (1/8 mile) bolt-ons

'02 Silverado RCSB 5.3 L59 - regularly street driven
    8.2 @ 86 (1/8 mile) stock cam and spray
    8.6 @ 84 (1/8 mile) cam and heads no spray

Our YOUTUBE CHANNEL featuring the Silverado

Well mystery solved - no one replied but it's all good. If this helps anyone in the future, they lock up from the factory and cannot be turned off with (ANY) software. A damn shame because that's exactly the reason 4L60s burn up. There is a nice video by Monster Transmissions on YouTube on how to rewire it so it only locks up in 4th like it should. I will be doing that when I have to change to another brand new converter since all the settings to prevent it from locking are already clicked and it still locks 1,2,3,4 and through all the shifts.

Tuner
    I thought the same thing about my truck converter as you do too.2006 Silverado 5.3 4L60E stock,except for a cold air kit.Newer,but I think similar. For you and a couple other posters,I hope they read this,I took a ride to show what I think you are looking at in your scans. I found 3 TCC Applied PIDs to watch. The first one says yes as soon as I start moving and won't say no until I come to a complete stop.That one is the PID I started to watch and thought the same as you,my converter was locking as soon as I started to move.It's not. Watch the other PIDs that I am monitoring,especially the TCC Mode,that is the one that tells you what your converter is doing.You seem to have the same tables in the trans section as I do,so I posted my current tune.My shift speeds are lowered,but I haven't adjusted anything in the converter section. If you want I can also post my stock tune.I hope this helps you.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Tuner
    PS I am currently running in SD mode. One thing I would look into is your converter clutch is set to stay locked during shift.I read somewhere,if that is checked,expect parts to break.

Quote Originally Posted by 89 Caprice 6.0L View Post
    I thought the same thing about my truck converter as you do too.2006 Silverado 5.3 4L60E stock,except for a cold air kit.Newer,but I think similar. For you and a couple other posters,I hope they read this,I took a ride to show what I think you are looking at in your scans. I found 3 TCC Applied PIDs to watch. The first one says yes as soon as I start moving and won't say no until I come to a complete stop.That one is the PID I started to watch and thought the same as you,my converter was locking as soon as I started to move.It's not. Watch the other PIDs that I am monitoring,especially the TCC Mode,that is the one that tells you what your converter is doing.You seem to have the same tables in the trans section as I do,so I posted my current tune.My shift speeds are lowered,but I haven't adjusted anything in the converter section. If you want I can also post my stock tune.I hope this helps you.
    Thank you very much for this info, yes I heard this somewhere and was considering it as a possibility. I will monitor all of them. However...

I can FEEL it locked. And I can prove it because when I manually override it in Scan Tool it feels totally different, less responsive but shifts smoother.

Quote Originally Posted by 89 Caprice 6.0L View Post
    PS I am currently running in SD mode. One thing I would look into is your converter clutch is set to stay locked during shift.I read somewhere,if that is checked,expect parts to break.
    I have definitely disabled shift lock. As I detect it now though, it is shifting hard probably because being locked - despite setting everything to never be locked especially during shifts
    I am running SD on my other car (the Camaro) and I like it.

Thanks again and wish me luck