Thread: Best 5.0 ECU to use for a turbo coyote boat project

Best 5.0 ECU to use for a turbo coyote boat project

What is the best ecu to use for a turbo 2013 coyote motor for a boat? I want to tune the ecu with hp tuners. I don't want to have to pay 1500 dollars for a control pack when I know a factory ecu will do the job.

I would use a manual trans mustang pcm with the ford racing Crate_6 control pack strategy.

Senior Tuner SultanHassanMasTuning's Avatar
    aem infinity
    Follow @MASTUNING visit www.mastuned.com
    Remote Tuning [email protected]
    Contact/Whatsapp +966555366161

Advanced Tuner
    any ecu will do fine it doesn't have to be anything specific or special

if your running it on premium fuel i'd recommend 22 degrees of timing and .78 lambda. Running 26 degrees at .83 lambda usually causes issues when staying WOT for hours.

If you don't have a coolant recirc system setup then you need to invest in that as well.
    Last edited by decipha; 02-16-2020 at 12:30 PM.
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning
    http://www.efidynotuning.com/

I heard that the 11-14 needed a speed sensor to operate correctly. Can this be shut off? Thought about using a 15 up pcm. Also is it easier to disable the PATS on one versus the other 11-14 versus 15-17? Is a truck ecu better than an mustang ecu etc?

The crate_6 strategy takes care of PATS.
    Yes, you can disable the speed input. And for a.boat, you will need to disable a bunch more items.

Advanced Tuner
    no it doesnt need the speed sensor

15 up pcm would require a cam phaser and timing setup swap for no gain, or a cam signal converter which adds more complexity for no gain

truck ecu is same not any better or worse
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

Where can I get the Crate_6 strategy? Also am I going to need 4 licenses to flash a new strategy onto a pcm?

FYI, I am using a 2013-14 pcm with the M2A3_Crate_6 strategy.

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by onefastt View Post
    Is a truck ecu better than an mustang ecu etc?
    For a boosted engine where you're not concerned with other devices on the CAN, such as IPC, BdyCM, RCM, etc. the truck or the 18-20 Roush SC strategy is better because they are MAP based. The best choice for any boosted application is the new GT500.

Advanced Tuner
    I fail to see how non relevant missing devices makes one ecu better. Why do you think map based is better? I'm curious what make the new gt500 ecu better?

AFAIK all ecu's are calculators and do only what you tell them to do nothing more and nothing less.
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning

I found the crate 6 tune. will I need 4 credits to overwrite a factory PCM?

Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by decipha View Post
    I fail to see how non relevant missing devices makes one ecu better. Why do you think map based is better? I'm curious what make the new gt500 ecu better?

AFAIK all ecu's are calculators and do only what you tell them to do nothing more and nothing less.
    MAP sensor. Speed Density. There is a reason we don't develop SC and EB engines with MAF.
    Engine Development - Roush/Ford ELD

Advanced Tuner
    what would that reason be?
    decipha @ EFIDynoTuning