Thread: Newb who is doing it backwards

Newb who is doing it backwards

So I did bolt ons in my 2016 L86/8l90 combo. I paid a shop local to me who specializes in corvettes/maros/ctsv for a dyno tune. I also had him supply me with and mpvi2 because I like the idea of doing things on my own and being able to spend the proper amount of time on things. He did the dyno runs and a little part throttle street test and called it good. Now I?m not going to bash the shop because it does no one any good but I think if I had boost and meth he would have spent a little more time trying to make my truck better. I?ll be honest it doesn?t drive that much better than before. Tonight I?m finally going to upload to the laptop and see if he saved my stock file so I can see what, if anything was changed. He told me he didn?t tune my tcm even though I asked for it. So if I want to dig a little deeper I probably picked one of the most difficult generations of vehicles to do it on it seems. Patience I key here I feel.

Basically plan is to do a log or two and just start to look. He said my trims were ok and not north messing with but I want to calibrate the maf is the curve looks rough. It looks like some vve tables should be checked in 3D to see how the graph is taking shape and make small adjustments from there. Goal is to get LTFT b/w -3 to 0? After that I?m unsure if I want better part throttle drivability If I should start to mess with some trans table stuff first or slowly make small changes to my driver demand and virtual torque tables? I just wrote way to much but I am excited to be able have access to all this data and learn what can and can?t be done. Just looking for feedback if I am on the right path or I should rethink my whole approach.

I talk to people weekly about how these gen 5 ECUs are not very easy.. many shops don’t know how to program them and those who think they do, typically don’t...

In fact just had this convo 5 min ago..

Lots of good info on this forum, and a few know how it actually works

Email Tunes, [email protected]
    96 TA Blown/Stroked, 4L80E/Fab 9
    15 C7 A8 H/C 2.3 Blower/PI
    14 Gen 5 Viper
    Custom Mid Engine chassis, AKA GalBen C

unfortunately i may agree. Ill post the only tune i have right now. i asked him for a copy of the stock one that i hope he saved. I can see a few issues so far. If anyone has a stock tune for a 6.2 silverado could you post it so i can see if and what was changed. i may have seen one in another thread that i am going to search for.dyno.hptdyno.hpt

Advanced Tuner
    I completely agree as well, I am afraid I have been tricked by a "tuner" as well. I put a cam in my LT1 and I did initially plan to tune it myself. I was running into some trouble and I didn't have much time to mess with the car so I went ahead and bought "tuning" through where I got my cam from. So the tune file the "tuner" gave me will start and run for about a second then die. Meanwhile I have been able to work through VVE tuning and so far I have got a pretty decent tune, I am having some abrupt torque reduction at WOT from traction control I believe and some clunking at rolling idle, but besides that it seems pretty good.

The "tuner" bashed me for having E85 in the tank and said I have to return down to at least 8% alcohol to being to "tune" (i'm not so sure I have been able to get pump gas at 8% alcohol with everything being E10). He also said I shouldn't be touching the VVE and what I was doing with the VVE was not going to work. He said it has to be tuned by the MAF calibration table. I haven't touched my MAF, and honestly I don't think I should touch it since to me the MAF is calibrated at the factory and the only reason I would need to change it is if I significantly change the airflow around the MAF (cold air intake) or if I am running out of resolution with the stock scaling and I need to be able to measure a lot higher airflow than stock.

He also said the usually stupid remarks like if you go WOT for more than a second and you are above 13.5:1 your engine is going to blow up and all that stupid stuff. We all know its more dangerous to have someone across the country randomly increasing timing until it triggers the knock sensors than accidently run lean for half a second at WOT.

I should have known what I was getting into, and now I have thrown a bunch of money out the window and made another "tuner" rich.

Tuner
    Damn fellas that's a tough way to go with these tuners leaving you high and dry. I'm about to get started on my 14 sierra L83 as soon as my mpvi2 comes in the mail. Check out goat rope garage on you tube, hes got real good genV videos. The torque tables get things screwy he explains them pretty well.

Yeah I have watched his videos a few times for help setting up the histograms. I?m sure he?s on this forum but I take everything on YouTube with a grain of salt but his stuff seems to be pretty accurate. I have off the next few days I?m going to try to get some things running better.