Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ve tuning

Advanced Tuner

Ve tuning

So when tuning with ve/speed density do you still use the power enrichment for wot. Or just the ve table. Also just installed a cam and it sounds completely stock. I've adjusted the idle toqure tables with no help. Is something else I can change to get this thing to sound more aggressive
    Last edited by FstdodgeKY; 02-15-2020 at 04:39 PM.

Senior Tuner
    Lean out idle if you are keeping O2 sensors off. If tune is really close and adaptives aren't fighting things it will sound tame. Can try lower timing and RPM too but sometimes that just gets a big lope not choppy aggressive sound.

Still command what you want in the PE table and use VE table to get there is what I do. Just email me log and where you're at with it if you want. I know your setup really well as it's so similar to my friends I mess with all the time

Quote Originally Posted by FstdodgeKY View Post
    So when tuning with ve/speed density do you still use the power enrichment for wot. Or just the ve table. Also just installed a cam and it sounds completely stock. I've adjusted the idle toqure tables with no help. Is something else I can change to get this thing to sound more aggressive
    Hey. So the demon plus cam is in and sounds stock?
    2018 Trackhawk PCM/TCM tune by Dusterhoff.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Advanced Tuner
    Yup stock sounding. I just got the car running today. I'll get some logs in a few days. Fighting a coolant leak at oil cooler and need a new hose.

Yup stock sounding. I just got the car running today. I'll get some logs in a few days. Fighting a coolant leak at oil cooler and need a new hose.
    Can ya share the cam specs? Just got the final pieces for my puzzle.
    Flex Fuel, MMX faux 95mm TB, GripTec 2.85, 10% ATI lower, FIC1200, ARH 1 7/8 w/cats, 180 T-stat

13 Chrysler 300S, RAM BGE 412 stroker, cam motion 232/246 619/619 118 +4, ATI 18% OD pulley
    Whipple Gen5 3.0, 2.50 upper pulley, Smooth Boost controller, FIC 1200 inj. Nick W 108mm TB, FORE dual return fuel system, E85, FTI 2800 stall(SRT83380), SHR WAR Viking trans and valve body, Getrag 3.73, 1 7/8 kooks w/hi-flow cats, 3" Magnaflow Cat-back 943rwhp

Advanced Tuner
    What's your email I send you a pic of the card.

Advanced Tuner
    It's all in the tune on how this thing sounds. I've got a long way to go with mine.

Advanced Tuner
    Ridenrunmv. I did make make some changes on the tune you sent me just based on what the tuning books said to do. I'm gonna try to load the one you sent with no changes and adjust the ve table as needed as see where that gets me. I'll send some logs after that.

Advanced Tuner
    So got the car sounding really good with some help, the cam sounds really health at idle now, now i have more questions regarding VE, My major issue seems to be going into WOT, If i just go straight to the floor the car seems responds into PE fairly quickly but if i roll into the gas it takes a while for the car to get the extra fuel and by the time it does im already making max boost well before that. I've adjusted my VE table but still doesn't help with the lag i get going into WOT. Also the car seem sluggish when making big hits, i feel the power come in but just feels almost like its not moving out of its own way. I haven't leaned on it to much because of the lean spots i have in the tune and I know a lot will need to be adjusted still and i am getting help and the more i can do myself the less i will have to rely on my helper, but just like to learn this as i move along. TIA Latest log attached for referancelog 4 ve.hpl
    6.4 Whipple Diamond pistons Manley rods, Demon Plus Cam

So got the car sounding really good with some help, the cam sounds really health at idle now, now i have more questions regarding VE, My major issue seems to be going into WOT, If i just go straight to the floor the car seems responds into PE fairly quickly but if i roll into the gas it takes a while for the car to get the extra fuel and by the time it does im already making max boost well before that. I've adjusted my VE table but still doesn't help with the lag i get going into WOT. Also the car seem sluggish when making big hits, i feel the power come in but just feels almost like its not moving out of its own way. I haven't leaned on it to much because of the lean spots i have in the tune and I know a lot will need to be adjusted still and i am getting help and the more i can do myself the less i will have to rely on my helper, but just like to learn this as i move along. TIA Latest log attached for referancelog 4 ve.hpl
    That tune a secret?? I lowered my [ECM] 44442 - FA WOT Pedal: Above this pedal voltage, the fueling algorithm considers the pedal to be a WOT request to 1.45 to bring in PE earlier. [ECM] 44453 - FA WOT PE Incr: FA WOT PE increase rate to 0.0200
    Don't know if all this is the correct way, but mine works.

Didn't get my cam pick yet. [email protected]

In your log graphs change the MAP axis in fueling and retard to go upto 200. You're getting some big knock retard numbers.

Think I have one of you're old tunes showing 17 degrees timing in WOT base, comparing other whipple tunes they are around 12.
    Last edited by coanan; 02-17-2020 at 05:36 PM.

Email the cam pic and I'll send back my log config file and see if it works for you, it logs a lot more stuff.

Advanced Tuner
    Sent you that cam card. Also the tune will remain a secret sorry guys and gals. The timing is set to 15 I believe now and yes the retard is alot. I'm not making WOT pulls just working on transitions into wot and p/t tuning.

Advanced Tuner
    So when tuneing VE how do you go about changing commanded afr values. I'm aware on how to get my fueling to my commanded but looking to actually changing my commanded values. Are there multipliers I'm missing somewhere?? Thought I had all this figured out but changing over to speed density has me back tracking now.

Advanced Tuner
    Still fighting with getting the commanded afr to change. Set FA pedal to 2.0 also tried lower with no real change. FA enrichment rate set to .0200. Also having hard time matching my commanded. I'm using my PE table + stoich value as my commanded fueling and using the ve table to get me what I'm wanting. Is this correct?? Also doing it this way it dosent seem to change my commanded EQ. I believe this is my main issues at the moment. Also would I be better off turning off all o2 sensors and using ve???

Advanced Tuner
    [QUOTE=FstdodgeKY;600421]So when tuning with ve/speed density,do you still use the power enrichment for wot??

NO, use the VE table to gradually feed in the fuel, its much more tunable.......Eq will remain at 1.000 but just set the AFR using wideband.

"Or just the ve table." YES, VE table only and stay open loop. Best way to do blower cars with NA os (5.7L, 6.4L etc.)

Senior Tuner
    [QUOTE=Hemituna;601021]
    So when tuning with ve/speed density,do you still use the power enrichment for wot??

NO, use the VE table to gradually feed in the fuel, its much more tunable.......Eq will remain at 1.000 but just set the AFR using wideband.

"Or just the ve table." YES, VE table only and stay open loop. Best way to do blower cars with NA os (5.7L, 6.4L etc.)
    I've been back and forth with doing it this way on non Hellcat. Trying to add fuel for PE based on boost but only after a certain pedal position doesn't necessarily make sense when your VE already has a boost axis

Advanced Tuner
    [QUOTE=ridenrunwv;601026]
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemituna View Post

I've been back and forth with doing it this way on non Hellcat. Trying to add fuel for PE based on boost but only after a certain pedal position doesn't necessarily make sense when your VE already has a boost axis

Correct, much better to add fuel (using VE table) as MAP rises rather than wait for the pedal position to hit a threshold.....screw blowers make way too much boost at low rpm/low pedal position for that to be a good strategy.

Advanced Tuner
    Thanks guys, after a few revisions this is the way it has been decided to tune, using the VE tables only and NOT the PE tables. The lean spike i was seeing going into boost is all gone and the tuning is much better doing it this way, Much more control on fueling and in my eyes easier to tune as there are less variables
    6.4 Whipple Diamond pistons Manley rods, Demon Plus Cam

Advanced Tuner
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemituna View Post
    So when tuning with ve/speed density,do you still use the power enrichment for wot??

Hemituna just to clarify: The fueling strategy in these ECU's command stoich (Eq of 1) only until an FA enrichment is commanded from the PE table?