Thread: E40 Idle Issues

Potential Tuner

E40 Idle Issues

I've been beating my head against the wall on this one for too long. I'm running an E40 with a 416 LS3 with a ton of work done to it but I cannot get this thing to idle decent for the life of me. I cannot get it to start without giving it gobs of throttle, it stalls and surges all the time in and out of gear. I attached the tune and the idle log file.

The engine came out of a 6-spd GTO I bought awhile ago and it's now in my off road car with a turbo 400 behind it. I'm running this as speed density with no O2 sensors, it runs great from about 2500 rpm up. I attached the tune and the log file.

Engine specs:

416" LS3 with 11.8:1 compression
    Ported TF 225 heads
    Port matched Fast 102 intake and DBW 102mm nick williams throttle body
    FTI Hellion Cam - 244* - 248* - 112* - .631" - .631"

Thank you for your help!
    Attached Files Attached Files

So how are you watching the fueling?

With a wideband o2 sensor I hope?

Fueling is huge with idle and over all driving.

Change the MAF dtc's error to MIL on first error.
    2016 Silverado CCSB 5.3/6L80e, not as slow but still heavy.

If you don't post your tune and logs when you have questions you aren't helping yourself.

Do what 5FDP said and also change these charts. Your base airflow is twice what it needs to be and startup airflow is all negatives. Probably don't need 27 degrees advance at idle. Maybe closer to 20. Anyway, hope this helps. You will have to retune with your wideband.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2000 Camaro SS 2015 L83 port injected, Whipple 3.0, 4L80E, 8.8 Ford
    2013 Silverado 5.3, 6L80k 8.8

Potential Tuner
    I adjusted those tables like you suggested, it's running extremely rich now and won't idle. I'm guessing that's why the previous tuner had the startup air flow negative. I'm wondering if going back to a stock flash and starting over would be the best bet?

You can go back to the stock tune, but it will not have the correct engine size, etc scalar, injector info,and lots of other things, or timing for the cam. Sounds like you do not have a wideband?

Potential Tuner
    I do have the wideband hooked up. I did order O2 sensor's and bungs that I'll try and get installed in the next couple weeks and see what this thing does with them installed.

It will run just as well in open loop if you have it tuned correctly.

Potential Tuner
    True, I followed the Gen 4 idle tuning guide today and I've gotten it idling decent now. Just need to get the idle speed dropped down and the idle smoothed out, it still has some surging issues when I drop it into gear or blip the throttle.

One issue I can't seem to tune out is the throttle actuation at startup, when I go to start the car it'll show approximately 20% TPS which is what's needed to start the engine. As soon as the engine catches it immediately closes the throttle to 3% and kills the engine. If I manually hold the pedal open to 20% it'll start and idle after a few seconds. Would this be corrected in the Idle>Air flow>Startup airflow table?